Email Marketing Tool

JXclay
Participant

converting email correspondents into marketing contacts

SOLVE

I correspond with lots of legit businesspeople (not bulk spammers) where I see the following behavior:

- We exchange one normal, manual, business email.

- They add me to their bulk email lists, even though I didn’t explicitly give consent.

These senders are using legit bulk email tools, including in some cases Hubspot and Mailchimp. But I realize this is not officially allowed under Hubspot’s rules.  How are people doing this?  I guess they’re just gambling that not enough people will complain to trigger Hubspot’s punishments?

1 Accepted solution
AdamLPW
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @JXclay,

I'd imagine most of these business people are using either Outlook or Gmail integration for HubSpot (or SalesForce, MailChimp, etc.).  

The way it would work with HubSpot would be as follows: you exchange legitimate emails with a correspondent.  If you don't specifically tell HubSpot NOT to do so, a contact will be created in your Hub.  You then go to send an emailshot... when you do so, you specify which lists or contacts you want to receive this... again, if you don't specify who's going to receive the email (maybe send to all contacts...) this individual could get your email. 

While exchanging direct emails with you may imply that that person is interested in your product or service, it's poor practice to send them marketing emails.  This isn't because it's in breach of rules (although you'll see a warning from HS about this if you import bulk contacts), but rather because it reflects poorly on you and your company.  You're likely to get spam complaints about your emails and to lose the faith of your contacts.     

In other words, these salespeople are either not communicating well with their marketing teams, not flagging these contacts with the correct lifecycle stage, or the marketing people are not choosing the correct lists to send mailshots to. 

As above: I don't think any rules are being broken here - as above, there's implied "legitimate interest" if you're corresponding with someone.   It is, however, poor form and gives the prospective customer a bad impression of you.  I've had it myself and been so annoyed I've refused to continue doing business with the company responsible! 

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
"The rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this experience... now!"

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
AdamLPW
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @JXclay,

I'd imagine most of these business people are using either Outlook or Gmail integration for HubSpot (or SalesForce, MailChimp, etc.).  

The way it would work with HubSpot would be as follows: you exchange legitimate emails with a correspondent.  If you don't specifically tell HubSpot NOT to do so, a contact will be created in your Hub.  You then go to send an emailshot... when you do so, you specify which lists or contacts you want to receive this... again, if you don't specify who's going to receive the email (maybe send to all contacts...) this individual could get your email. 

While exchanging direct emails with you may imply that that person is interested in your product or service, it's poor practice to send them marketing emails.  This isn't because it's in breach of rules (although you'll see a warning from HS about this if you import bulk contacts), but rather because it reflects poorly on you and your company.  You're likely to get spam complaints about your emails and to lose the faith of your contacts.     

In other words, these salespeople are either not communicating well with their marketing teams, not flagging these contacts with the correct lifecycle stage, or the marketing people are not choosing the correct lists to send mailshots to. 

As above: I don't think any rules are being broken here - as above, there's implied "legitimate interest" if you're corresponding with someone.   It is, however, poor form and gives the prospective customer a bad impression of you.  I've had it myself and been so annoyed I've refused to continue doing business with the company responsible! 

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
"The rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this experience... now!"
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @JXclay , welcome to HubSpot Community, wanted to tag some top experts @Ben_M@AdamLPW@GuyTaylor any suggestions to @JXclay matter?

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !