Email Marketing Tool

CourtneyOTS
Participant

Will previously scheduled automated emails update if I edit email content?

SOLVE

We're updating some of the copy in the emails associated with an active workflow. I've read the KB article on this topic, but I see nothing in there about whether these content updates will deploy to the emails in this workflow that have already been scheduled, or if the changes only go into effect for new additions to the workflow. Anyone know the answer to this? Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

No worries. It's sometimes helpful to think of marketing emails as 'published for automation' instead of 'scheduled for automation'. From that perspective, the currently published version of the email will be used by all automation at send time.

Example:

1-Jan, 9:00am -- Email A is published for automation -- this is v1.

1-Jan, 10:00am -- A workflow action triggers sending of email A -- v1 is sent.

1-Jan, 10:00am -- Email A is modified.

1-Jan, 10:01am -- Email A is published for automation -- this is v2.

1-Jan, 10:02am -- A workflow action triggers sending of email A -- v2 is sent.

Basically, we can disregard whatever actions occur before the 'Send Email' action. The focus is the timing between when the updated email is published for automation and when the workflow 'Send Email' action fires for any given contact.

If the email is published for automation before any corresponding workflow 'Send Email' action, the newly published version will be used.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Thanks for the ping @ConnorSlivensky ...

"The updated email will be sent to objects in the workflow moving forward. Objects that have already completed this action or have completed the entire workflow will not receive the updated email." - see Update automated emails in your workflow

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
CourtneyOTS
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks, @MFrankJohnson.  I'd seen that before, but the wording there was kind of vague. I think the main point of confusion for me is whether automation pulls the content object in whatever version it is published right at the moment of scheduling itself, or if the scheduling sets an action--the pulling and sending of content--to be completed at a specific time and date in the future.

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

No worries. It's sometimes helpful to think of marketing emails as 'published for automation' instead of 'scheduled for automation'. From that perspective, the currently published version of the email will be used by all automation at send time.

Example:

1-Jan, 9:00am -- Email A is published for automation -- this is v1.

1-Jan, 10:00am -- A workflow action triggers sending of email A -- v1 is sent.

1-Jan, 10:00am -- Email A is modified.

1-Jan, 10:01am -- Email A is published for automation -- this is v2.

1-Jan, 10:02am -- A workflow action triggers sending of email A -- v2 is sent.

Basically, we can disregard whatever actions occur before the 'Send Email' action. The focus is the timing between when the updated email is published for automation and when the workflow 'Send Email' action fires for any given contact.

If the email is published for automation before any corresponding workflow 'Send Email' action, the newly published version will be used.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
CourtneyOTS
Participant

SOLVE

Got it. Thanks very much, @MFrankJohnson.

ConnorSlivensky
Key Advisor | Elite Partner
Key Advisor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

As I understand it to edit an automated email you need to unpublish it which would stop it from sending in the workflow. I'm not sure how HubSpot would handle a failed email, it may reschedule but I don't know.

Any insights @MFrankJohnson @bradmin @Josh ?