Email Marketing Tool

Dom2021
Participant

Whatsapp Click-to-Chat link/button in emails

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to add a Whatsapp Click-to-Chat button to our marketing emails but I can't get it to work correctly; maybe someone can help?

The issue seems to be the additional Hubspot tracking.

My wa.me (or api.whatsapp) links work correctly when I just paste them in a private email: clicking it opens my Whatsapp (on mobile) and when I select a recipient, the pre-made text is pasted correctly into the new chat (that's exactly how I want it to work).

When I do this in a Hubspot email, clicking the link/button opens my browser instead of my Whatsapp app. That then shows the correct pre-made message and provides a button 'continue to chat' but when clicking that, I get to a page saying 'Looks like you don't have Whatsapp installed!' + a 'download' button (that's not what I want).

I don't understand why the additional step of Hubspot tracking causes the browser to open and not Whatsapp directly. Anyone knows a solution or a workaround?

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
Dom2021
Participant

Hi,

I'm not using any Whatsapp integration; should not be necessary for this feature as it works natively by just generating a link following these guidelines: https://faq.whatsapp.com/general/chats/how-to-use-click-to-chat/?lang=en

0 Upvotes
natsumimori
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the link!

I tested with my account and I was able to open up whatsapp via both 1:1 email and marketing email. 

When I clicked on the link within the email, whatsapp opend up like this:

Notification_Center.png

The URL I added looks like this: https://wa.me/countrycode+myphonenumber?text=hello 

Could you share some more details such as the URL you added (please do not share your phone number) and some screenshots of your marketing email and what pages opend up ?

natsumimori
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Dom2021 , thank you for your post.

Which whatsapp integration are you using? Could you share the resources you referred to?