Email Marketing Tool

AJackson32
Participant

UTMs on UTMs

SOLVE

If I use a link with UTM codes included already in an email send, how does this work with HubSpot's UTMs and campaign tracking, and what information is passed through to Google Analytics?

1 Accepted solution
AdityaBansal
Solution
Member | Platinum Partner

UTMs on UTMs

SOLVE

Hi @AJackson32,

There are two ways to track and capture UTM parameters in HubSpot :

1. Generate URL parameters from HubSpot Tracking URL Builder tool (Navigate Reports > Analytics tools > Tracking URL Builder. However, using HubSpot URL Tracking builder tool allows you to create reports against each parameter.
  2. Use HubSpot custom properties and place them over HubSpot forms as hidden property (property internal name should match the URL parameter). In this URL tracking, only channels are tracked.

As per your query, if link with URL parameters used in email was created using the HubSpot Tracking URL Builder, definitely, you can track them in HubSpot Reports.

Speaking of Google analytics, GA treats every unique URL individually. You can see all the UTM tags in GA by following this path: Acquisition > Campaigns > All Campaigns. You can then view the tags data by setting Primary dimension as campaign, source or medium.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Aditya Bansal

Grazitti Interactive

Book a meeting with me

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
AJackson32
Participant

UTMs on UTMs

SOLVE

Thank you! I realized there's a setting in HubSpot to decide what to do with UTMs in Marketing emails links. Settings -> Marketing -> Emails -> Tracking.

You can overwrite the source tracking or choose to keep it when included in marketing emails.

0 Upvotes
AdityaBansal
Solution

UTMs on UTMs

SOLVE

Hi @AJackson32,

There are two ways to track and capture UTM parameters in HubSpot :

1. Generate URL parameters from HubSpot Tracking URL Builder tool (Navigate Reports > Analytics tools > Tracking URL Builder. However, using HubSpot URL Tracking builder tool allows you to create reports against each parameter.
  2. Use HubSpot custom properties and place them over HubSpot forms as hidden property (property internal name should match the URL parameter). In this URL tracking, only channels are tracked.

As per your query, if link with URL parameters used in email was created using the HubSpot Tracking URL Builder, definitely, you can track them in HubSpot Reports.

Speaking of Google analytics, GA treats every unique URL individually. You can see all the UTM tags in GA by following this path: Acquisition > Campaigns > All Campaigns. You can then view the tags data by setting Primary dimension as campaign, source or medium.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Aditya Bansal

Grazitti Interactive

Book a meeting with me

SarahVH
Participant

UTMs on UTMs

SOLVE

Hi @AdityaBansal

thanks for the insights!

Any idea on how this works for external UTM links (not from own website/Hubspot, for ex. Partner provided UTM link for their website). Are those values overwritten by the Hubspot ones? 

Thanks!