Email Marketing Tool

mrutter27
Participant

Tips for minimizing the email clipping using the drag-drop feature

Résolue

Hi all!  I'm experiencing the dreaded email clipping error and other posts help me understand why it's happening I don't see anything actionable helping me fix it.  I've stripped out so much already of a pretty slim content and it's starting to feel a little ridiculous that it can't be handled.  How can I view the backend or the amount of space the HTML code takes up to know when, how, and where to remove more so this doesn't keep happening.

Help!  going live with our inaugural monthly newsletter in 2 days and want it to be in good shape.

2 Solutions acceptées
PamCotton
Solution
Gestionnaire de communauté

Résolue

Hi @mrutter27 

Currently, this limitation is coming from Gmail and there is not a lot to control in HubSpot side, as a workaround to prevent the emails from clipping in Gmail, would be keeping your emails under 102kb.

We also refer that the 102kb limit is based on the amount of content in the HTML code, not the size of specific images in your message. While resizing an image will not change the size of the content, deleting an image from the email body will reduce the size of the message.

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

0 Votes
EricDevenney
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Résolue

Hi Maddy, Eric here from this post. I wanted to chime in and see if I could help make some recommendations.

A few things that come to mind that could be contributing to your email size:

• Calls-to-action (CTAs can take up more space than expected)
  • Content that's been copied/pasted from a word processor or another website (this can result in unseen code being copied/pasted into the email, increasing its size)
  • Numerous images (if there are many images in the email, let's see if we can reduce)
  • The template code (is this a HubSpot template? Something that's been custom coded?)

Without seeing the email itself, it's hard to pinpoint what the specific issue might be, but the above are starting points. How much content is being clipped? And is it just text that's being clipped, or are there other elements such as images that are being clipped too?

Another possible reason that your emails are being clipped is if you're sending test emails that share the same subject line. When Gmail receives emails with the same subject line, they may become threaded, and this would cause Gmail to add the message sizes together. If you're testing the same email, I recommend giving it a new subject line for your next test so that Gmail doesn't thread the message.

How to find the size of the email

You can find out the size of an email by downloading the original message from Gmail:

• Open the email in your Gmail inbox.
  • In the top-right of the email, click the 3 vertical dots to open the More menu.
  • Select Download message.
  • On Mac, the message should download automatically. Locate the downloaded file, then view the message size. You can see this in the finder window, as shown below:
    This message was clipped for being 261KBThis message was clipped for being 261KB
  • On PC, you should see a download confirmation dialog box which will display the file size next to the file name (it should display something like "which is: EML file (size)")

I hope this helps to point you in the right direction! 

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

5 Réponses
PamCotton

Résolue

Hello @mrutter27 

Currently, Gmail will cut off and display " [Message clipped] View the entire message" at the bottom of your email if the email is larger than 102kb. 

This Community post here will provide you more information that will be helpful. Our recommendation is to please cut the size of your email to fit the Gmail size limitation in order to not clip the email.

Kindly,

Pam

0 Votes
mrutter27
Participant

Résolue

Are there suggestions to fix it if it happens to you?  None of the current articles give tangible ideas to consider or take action on - they just inform you that it happens if more than 102kb.  

0 Votes
PamCotton
Solution

Résolue

Hi @mrutter27 

Currently, this limitation is coming from Gmail and there is not a lot to control in HubSpot side, as a workaround to prevent the emails from clipping in Gmail, would be keeping your emails under 102kb.

We also refer that the 102kb limit is based on the amount of content in the HTML code, not the size of specific images in your message. While resizing an image will not change the size of the content, deleting an image from the email body will reduce the size of the message.

Kindly,

Pam

0 Votes
mrutter27
Participant

Résolue

Is there a reason that my email might still be clipping in Gmail even without a warning from the Hubspot drag-drop editor in the 'Review and Send' feature or any other warning for that matter?  I was having loads of issues getting my Newsletter compiled without it clipping when sending my test emails, but from the Hubspot builder view, as the owner, I had no indication clipping was going to be an issue.

I'd really love the opportunity to escalate this or get some support and guidance on how to understand the email editors - the knowledge base videos and tutorials don't quite address these technical issues that asking an expert live might get me.

thank you.

Maddy

0 Votes
EricDevenney
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Résolue

Hi Maddy, Eric here from this post. I wanted to chime in and see if I could help make some recommendations.

A few things that come to mind that could be contributing to your email size:

• Calls-to-action (CTAs can take up more space than expected)
  • Content that's been copied/pasted from a word processor or another website (this can result in unseen code being copied/pasted into the email, increasing its size)
  • Numerous images (if there are many images in the email, let's see if we can reduce)
  • The template code (is this a HubSpot template? Something that's been custom coded?)

Without seeing the email itself, it's hard to pinpoint what the specific issue might be, but the above are starting points. How much content is being clipped? And is it just text that's being clipped, or are there other elements such as images that are being clipped too?

Another possible reason that your emails are being clipped is if you're sending test emails that share the same subject line. When Gmail receives emails with the same subject line, they may become threaded, and this would cause Gmail to add the message sizes together. If you're testing the same email, I recommend giving it a new subject line for your next test so that Gmail doesn't thread the message.

How to find the size of the email

You can find out the size of an email by downloading the original message from Gmail:

• Open the email in your Gmail inbox.
  • In the top-right of the email, click the 3 vertical dots to open the More menu.
  • Select Download message.
  • On Mac, the message should download automatically. Locate the downloaded file, then view the message size. You can see this in the finder window, as shown below:
    This message was clipped for being 261KBThis message was clipped for being 261KB
  • On PC, you should see a download confirmation dialog box which will display the file size next to the file name (it should display something like "which is: EML file (size)")

I hope this helps to point you in the right direction!