Email Marketing Tool

Yowza

Text-Transform hack for all caps to proper case

SOLVE

Personalzing an auto-response email to form submissions and trying to correct for improper casing on submitter data.  Using text-transform options I can obviously switch to all CAPS, all lower, or force a Capital first letter.  Using Capitalize I can ensure that anyone who submitted in all lower is corrected in my auto-response, but does anyone know a trick to convert all caps to First Caps and rest lower?

1 Accepted solution
Sam_Alford
Solution
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Thanks for the shout out @Mike_Eastwood 🙂

@Yowza, I’ve recently developed a custom workflow action that corrects the case and takes into consideration the following examples eg. samantha alford or SAMANTHA ALFORD = Samantha Alford, mcdonald or MCDONALD = McDonald, aj simpson = AJ Simpson, van der stein = van der Stein etc.  There are a heap of other scenarios as well that I’ve built into the tool.

All you have to do is create a workflow that has an enrolment trigger of when your form(s) are completed and then add the custom workflow action and it corrects it for you.  If the person has already put the correct case then it leaves it as is.

Best of all it’s FREE.  You can check it out here: https://inboundaddons.com/change-name-case.

It is currently best suited for when forms are submitted but I’m adding on the ability to go back through your whole database and fix up ones that are already submitted incorrectly.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Sam

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22
NPW
Contributor

SOLVE
DianaGomez
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @NPW 😊

Thanks for sharing 🙂

Best,

Diana

¿Sabías que la Comunidad está disponible en Español?
¡Participa hoy en conversaciones en el idioma de tu preferencia,cambiando el idioma en tus configuraciones!

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
RBozeman
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @Yowza,

Late answer to your question here, but I thought that I should share in case anyone else needs a similar solution. 

Data quality automation like this is not available in the free HubSpot CRM, but is in a Operations Hub Professional or Enterprise.

Full disclosure, I work for Insycle as a product marketer. But Insycle includes functions that allow you to format names for proper case, even taking advanced cases such as "McDonald" or "O'Brien" into account and formatting them properly. In addition to the formatting, you can do things like removing terms (Mr., Mrs., Ms., Dr., Etc.) and removing extra whitespace from the field as well. I've included a screenshot.

Hope that was helpful!

Best,

Ryan

hubspot-answer-1.png

elizsmith
Contributor

SOLVE

Is there any solution available to transform all lowercase names to sentence case?

The app created by @Sam_Alford works for upper to sentence case, but we also have form submissions coming in where the names are lower.

0 Upvotes
Paul320
Participant | Diamond Partner
Participant | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

This is a feature/function that HubSpot ought to make available in Workflows.  Someone took the time to add it to the HubSpot Product Ideas website.  Please use the link to the left and upvote it.  It needs 100 upvotes to get noticed.  Tell all your HubSpot users / clients!

Sam_Alford
Solution
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Thanks for the shout out @Mike_Eastwood 🙂

@Yowza, I’ve recently developed a custom workflow action that corrects the case and takes into consideration the following examples eg. samantha alford or SAMANTHA ALFORD = Samantha Alford, mcdonald or MCDONALD = McDonald, aj simpson = AJ Simpson, van der stein = van der Stein etc.  There are a heap of other scenarios as well that I’ve built into the tool.

All you have to do is create a workflow that has an enrolment trigger of when your form(s) are completed and then add the custom workflow action and it corrects it for you.  If the person has already put the correct case then it leaves it as is.

Best of all it’s FREE.  You can check it out here: https://inboundaddons.com/change-name-case.

It is currently best suited for when forms are submitted but I’m adding on the ability to go back through your whole database and fix up ones that are already submitted incorrectly.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Sam

PatrickH429
Participant

SOLVE

this add-on works, thanks!

elanashama
Top Contributor

SOLVE

this addon is great, thanks!

Sam_Alford
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Thanks Elana, I'm so glad you like it.

All the best, Sam

jillkurpershoek

SOLVE

Hi Sam,

I downloaded the workflow action and it ended up making everything lowercase. Is there anyway to reconfigure this? I'm not quite sure where I went wrong, but we'd really like to use this tool. 

Thanks,

Jill

0 Upvotes
lgil
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

@Sam_Alford,

I'm trying to access your custom workflow action through the link you shared but I keep receiving an errror message.

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 4.09.01 PM.png

Is there a way I could get that info?

0 Upvotes
bradytraeder
Contributor

SOLVE

Sam did you complete the ability to add this to exsiting database items?

0 Upvotes
KeyWestScott
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@Sam_Alford Thank you sooooo much.  

Am definitly looking forward to your "update" for checking existing contacts...  This would be fantastic.

Scott

0 Upvotes
djkelly
Participant

SOLVE

Sam - we've been going crazy fixing names, I just added this, it works great! We've been sending personalized HubSpot email along with direct mail letters and postcards that use personalization tags via Postalytics in workflows, this will save us LOTS of time & worry. Thanks for doing this - I'm planning to blog on it!

0 Upvotes
jasonashaw
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Sam,

I added this to our Hubspot and tried it. It seems to work on some records and not others. I can see that the contact went through the workflow and was marked as success, but the records remains all lower. Is there something we aren't doing right?

Thanks!
Jason

0 Upvotes
tg52
Participant

SOLVE

This is really great - thanks Sam!

Should definitely be a built in feature.

Best,

Theo

Sam_Alford
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Thanks Theo (@tg52), I'm glad you like it!

Cheers,

Sam

0 Upvotes
JenP
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Sam,

Have you or are you planning on creating one for the City and State/Region fields?  I want to make those fields both CAPS only and can't find a way to do that.  If you are that would be great.  I'd also love one that put the spaces in phone numbers as well.

Cheers

Jenny

ds_cv
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for making this. Been searching for a solution for ages!

Sam_Alford
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hey @ds_cv ,

you're very welcome! 🙂

I'll post here when I have the bulk update feature available also.

Cheers,

Sam

0 Upvotes