Email Marketing Tool

StacyZ
Contributor

Subscription Types and Contact Records in Marketing Hub

SOLVE

Hi,

We don't have the GDPR tools turned on in our account, but still want to be able to track opt ins and outs on the contact level using subscription type.  One article I found said that the "Communication Subscription Types" are NOT available when GDPR tools are not turned on:

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Email-Marketing-Tool/Where-is-Communication-Subscriptions-in-Beta/t...

Another article says that to manually add a person to a subscription type when GDPR is NOT turned on, you need to navigate to the "Communication Subscription Types"...How can I do this if this isn't available, since I dont' have GDPR tools turned on?

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/manage-your-subscription-preferences-and-types 

• If you don't have GDPR functionality enabled:
    • Click the Communication subscription types dropdown menu, then select a subscription type.
    • Select the subscription status of the contacts.
    • If they've been opted out by a HubSpot user, you can opt them back in by selecting Remove opt out from all emails.
    • Enter an Explanation for communication consent for these contacts
  • Click Save.

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hey @StacyZ,

With GDPR settings turned on, you would see this in the left sidebar of a contact record.

karstenkoehler_0-1629521896353.png

With the GDPR settings turned off, the Communication subscriptions section in the left sidebar of a contact would indeed not appear.

You can however add subscriptions in bulk from the contacts dashboard. I just double checked in a free and Enterprise portal. When you select contacts, click More > Edit communications subscriptions. This is where you would subscribe or unsubscribe a contact for a particular subscription type.

karstenkoehler_1-1629522004369.png

With GDPR settings enabled, this interface looks slightly different:

karstenkoehler_2-1629522057888.png

Generally, I'd recommend working with the GDPR settings, you can read about the consequences of enabling the options here: Turn on GDPR functionality in your HubSpot account

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
StacyZ
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks much!

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Happy to help 🙂

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hey @StacyZ,

With GDPR settings turned on, you would see this in the left sidebar of a contact record.

karstenkoehler_0-1629521896353.png

With the GDPR settings turned off, the Communication subscriptions section in the left sidebar of a contact would indeed not appear.

You can however add subscriptions in bulk from the contacts dashboard. I just double checked in a free and Enterprise portal. When you select contacts, click More > Edit communications subscriptions. This is where you would subscribe or unsubscribe a contact for a particular subscription type.

karstenkoehler_1-1629522004369.png

With GDPR settings enabled, this interface looks slightly different:

karstenkoehler_2-1629522057888.png

Generally, I'd recommend working with the GDPR settings, you can read about the consequences of enabling the options here: Turn on GDPR functionality in your HubSpot account

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

Ian_Matt
Contributor

SOLVE
Based on the community post you linked above it looks like older HubSpot portals do allow you to access subscription types without the GDPR settings turned on and newer posts require GDPR settings.

Whether you can do it or not may depend on the age of your HubSpot account.

Are you seeing the option for subscription type on the contact level with your setting turned off?
0 Upvotes