Email Marketing Tool

dbhoward
Participant

Subscription Type Intersection With All-contacts "House List"

SOLVE

Can someone confirm my understanding of how subscription types intersect with lists.

1) I have an "All Contacts" house list, with essentially every record in HubSpot. This is 10,000 records.

2) I have multiple subscription types, one of which is Product Updates, which are those contacts that have either opted-in to Product Updates or otherwise been assigned. 500 people are in this subscription group.

When I want to send a "product update" email, I believe I select "All Contacts" and set the subscription type to "Product Updates," and HubSpot will intersect the 500 people in the subscription group against the 10,000 records in All Contacts list, sending the e-mail ONLY to the 500 people (And not all 10,000)

Do I have this correct?

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @dbhoward 

This is true if you have the GDPR setting switched on, and not if not. 

If not, emails of a subscription type will be sent to all recipients (your 1000) with an opted in or not opted in or out status. 

Only if GDPR is turned on do recipients with a not opted in or out status get excluded along with the actual opted out ones. 

This is explained a bit better here: How subscription preferences and types work

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
dbhoward
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Actually, reviewing your link, I find text that confirms it works the way I always understood (bolding mine)

"If you have not enabled GDPR functionality, emails can be sent to contacts with an Opted in or a Not opted in or out status. Emails will not be delivered to contacts who have chosen to opt out of that subscription type. However, there is no way to change a contact's opt in status for a particular subscription type if GDPR is notenabled. When a contact visits your email preference page, the checkboxes for your subscription types will be checked by default. "

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @dbhoward 

This is true if you have the GDPR setting switched on, and not if not. 

If not, emails of a subscription type will be sent to all recipients (your 1000) with an opted in or not opted in or out status. 

Only if GDPR is turned on do recipients with a not opted in or out status get excluded along with the actual opted out ones. 

This is explained a bit better here: How subscription preferences and types work

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
0 Upvotes
dbhoward
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Actually, reviewing your link, I find text that confirms it works the way I always understood (bolding mine)

"If you have not enabled GDPR functionality, emails can be sent to contacts with an Opted in or a Not opted in or out status. Emails will not be delivered to contacts who have chosen to opt out of that subscription type. However, there is no way to change a contact's opt in status for a particular subscription type if GDPR is notenabled. When a contact visits your email preference page, the checkboxes for your subscription types will be checked by default. "

0 Upvotes
dbhoward
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks. This is a good catch.  I will review your link.

I haven't yet found HubSpot dox that explain it well.

0 Upvotes