Email Marketing Tool

akubrin
Participant

Social media share buttons on landing pages and follow-up emails

SOLVE

Hello experts!

I was reading this excellent post on marketing emails, "23 Simple Email Marketing Tips to Improve Your Open and Clickthrough Rates," and I have a few questions.

First, is it generally a good practice to add social media share buttons to emails in drip campaigns?

Second, how do you do it? I tried following the instructions for step 16 in the article, but I got hung up. It looks like you can only create a share button for a Twitter URL. Naturally, an email doesn't have a Twitter email.

Maybe the real procedure is to create a share button for the tweet I'll ultimately create for the landing page. Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

AK

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @akubrin,

Step 16 in that blog post is a bit misleading: It refers to extending the reach of the content linked in your email – not the reach of the email itself. For example, let's assume that your email is promoting a landing page. By including sharing buttons you allow your recipients to promote this landing page on their social media accounts.

Do these steps make sense now? https://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/29544/The-Ultimate-Cheat-Sheet-for-Creating-Social-Medi...

You mentioned that this is for a drip email campaign. These kinds of campaigns are about repeated exposure and nurturing your recipients. Generally, it makes sense to focus one goal in emails and one goal only. Extending the reach of the message in your emails would be a secondary goal. It's nice to have but it's distracting from your primary goal: nudging your recipients to take an action.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @akubrin,

Not necessarily just follow-up emails. Whenever you send an email promoting content, for example a landing page, you can make it easier for your recipients to share this landing page with their networks. Of course, they could just copy and paste the link but by creating a button it's a little more conventient for your recipients.

The functionalities are not limited in Starter, this screenshot is from a free portal:

social.png

You can either use an Image and add a sharing link to it or create a Button (with an added link) or use the Social module. All will look a bit different. They have in common that you're not showing the hyperlink in plain text – but nicely "hidden" within a clickable element.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
ShariM
Contributor | Platinum Partner
Contributor | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Has anyone solved how to use the Social buttons in the Drag and Drop email editor for social SHARING (to share the web page version of the email ...like the OLD social sharing buttons used to do)? I have tried to get this to work several times using the webpage URL for the email but it doens't work. Any ideas?

0 Upvotes
gedneybarclay

SOLVE

@ShariM I am having the same issue! Seems like this should be so easy considering it's a common feature of providers like MailChimp. 

0 Upvotes
akubrin
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you, @karstenkoehler. I imported images and added links, and they're working perfectly.

gedneybarclay

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler maybe I missed something, but where do we get the links? I especially am having trouble finding the code/link for a share on LinkedIn button. Forgive me if I missed something in other HubSpot resources. 

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @akubrin,

Not necessarily just follow-up emails. Whenever you send an email promoting content, for example a landing page, you can make it easier for your recipients to share this landing page with their networks. Of course, they could just copy and paste the link but by creating a button it's a little more conventient for your recipients.

The functionalities are not limited in Starter, this screenshot is from a free portal:

social.png

You can either use an Image and add a sharing link to it or create a Button (with an added link) or use the Social module. All will look a bit different. They have in common that you're not showing the hyperlink in plain text – but nicely "hidden" within a clickable element.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @akubrin,

Step 16 in that blog post is a bit misleading: It refers to extending the reach of the content linked in your email – not the reach of the email itself. For example, let's assume that your email is promoting a landing page. By including sharing buttons you allow your recipients to promote this landing page on their social media accounts.

Do these steps make sense now? https://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/29544/The-Ultimate-Cheat-Sheet-for-Creating-Social-Medi...

You mentioned that this is for a drip email campaign. These kinds of campaigns are about repeated exposure and nurturing your recipients. Generally, it makes sense to focus one goal in emails and one goal only. Extending the reach of the message in your emails would be a secondary goal. It's nice to have but it's distracting from your primary goal: nudging your recipients to take an action.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

akubrin
Participant

SOLVE

Hello Karsten,

I hope you won't mind if I ask you for clarification on this issue again.

If I understand right, the idea is to add a Share button (with the URL of the landing page) to the follow-up email.

Did I get that right?

But is it possible to add a Share button to an email with the Marketing Starter subscription? That seems to require a Marketing Professional subscription.

Am I missing something here? Do I need Marketing Professional to add a Share button?

Thank you in advance.

Andy

0 Upvotes
akubrin
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler,

Yes, I thought that must be the meaning—that the Share button would be used to promote the landing page, not the email.

And the purpose of the email would also be to prompt people to extend their journey a bit further into the marketing funnel.

Vielen Dank für diese Erklärung.

Tschuß!

Andy

0 Upvotes