Email Marketing Tool

gil1001
Top Contributor

Signature too long with Gmail - using Hubspot free signature tool

SOLVE

Not sure this is the place for this question but did anyone tried using Hubspot free signature tool for their company's signature? I've created one, but when I copy it to Gmail, I get an error saying that the signature is too long.

When searching for it online it says that the HTML code should not be longer than 10,000, counted and it is about 2000. Yet, it still gives me this error. Any suggestions?

2 Accepted solutions
Josh
Solution
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @gil1001,

I also ran into this issue with Google. I originally had social icons and a meetings button included. When I removed the social icons, it allowed me to paste it in because it removed enough characters. 

I had to completely refresh the Gmail settings page in order for it to work appropriately.

As far as the character count, I'm not exactly sure why you're seeing such a difference between the generator, the character counter, and gmail itself.

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
kristinaw
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

So I tried removing the social icons and that did not work for me. Since I had a previous autosignature created through hubspot that worked fine I was able to see that my image size (even thought it auto adjusted) was my problem. I shrunk my headshot image from 1000x1000 to 450x450 and it works, even while keeping the social icons. Hope this helps with an alternative solution in case you want to keep the social icons.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19
THintz

SOLVE

Wow same problem here ... no matter what I do, delete photos, delete all links, delete social media stuff ... still says the same thing. Only solution I found was to dig into the code source and hack it. I don't have time to sift through ten thousand lines of code to find the "arial Sig" etc ... why doesn't this work? 

Tomspeer6

SOLVE

Same Issue Here. Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 6.50.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-04-19 at 6.51.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-04-19 at 6.52.34 PM.png

Young_Teck

SOLVE

Hey,

This works for me. 

1. Create your Signature

2. Copy Source Code

3. Go to https://html-online.com/editor/

4. Paste your source code (see the screenshots)

5. Copy the new signature on the left-hand side

6. Paste the Signature to Gmail and Save

Cheers, 
Young Teck

CEO & Co-Founder of Delegate Dynamics

CTA9
Contributor

SOLVE

This is the most accurate and latest solution to this problem.

Thank you Young.

0 Upvotes
TNTutors
Participant

SOLVE

You, my friend, rule. Many thanks!

0 Upvotes
mpnproductions

SOLVE

Amazing! this worked. However, on mobile my photo isn't rendering. Any tips on what the photo file should be or so? Since it has to be a URL (currently a link from my Google Drive). Would love any tips. Thanks so much!

0 Upvotes
ETrevena
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks - this worked!!!!

0 Upvotes
everton1
Participant

SOLVE

Hello Young, 

Unfortunately, I am not able to see any screenshots once I paste the source code. Can you please help? Below is the screenshot.

everton1_0-1698046039428.png

Thanks.

JColios

SOLVE

This worked for our team.
Once you have completed your signature, copy and paste the source code into your hubspot signature on the source panel.
JColios_0-1678271954138.png

Then open a new email inside HubSpot and select all on the signature.

Now add this as your Gmail signature.

This has worked with our email signatures including images and social media links.

donrua
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Seems like bloated code. Repeated failures. Not a good UX for people trying touse a tool to make it EASIER to set up a signature.

kristinaw
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

So I tried removing the social icons and that did not work for me. Since I had a previous autosignature created through hubspot that worked fine I was able to see that my image size (even thought it auto adjusted) was my problem. I shrunk my headshot image from 1000x1000 to 450x450 and it works, even while keeping the social icons. Hope this helps with an alternative solution in case you want to keep the social icons.

Josh
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @gil1001,

I also ran into this issue with Google. I originally had social icons and a meetings button included. When I removed the social icons, it allowed me to paste it in because it removed enough characters. 

I had to completely refresh the Gmail settings page in order for it to work appropriately.

As far as the character count, I'm not exactly sure why you're seeing such a difference between the generator, the character counter, and gmail itself.

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

0 Upvotes
ausworkshop
Participant

SOLVE

Tried this and still can't get it to work.  I wasted hours on this stupid Hubspot signature generator. All I wanted to do is change the one I made previously and have wasted 2 hours or more.  So frustrating.  I've used Hubspot before for my Gmail sig and never had this much trouble.  Something must have changed.  I'm now off to find a completely different one.  Sorry Hubspot but you've lost me on this and there doesn't appear to be a solution for using it in Gmail.

BérangèreL
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @ausworkshop,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and for your valuable feedback!

I would like to apologize for the frustration and business impact this has caused.

We've seen a number of similar cases where users are unable to use the signature created by HubSpot's free e-mail signature generator. In most cases, it seems that Gmail adds an extra code after pasting the signature. This extra code artificially inflates the number of characters present, thus causing this error. So, even if users don't exceed the 10,000-character limit, they seem to encounter this behavior.

HubSpot is aware of this situation and has been in contact with Google about it, but as this is mainly a Google-related issue, we can't say for sure when it will be resolved.

Until Gmail resolves this issue, the best course of action is to :

- either use the development tools to paste the source code of the signature of your choice (here's how to do it)

- take steps to create a simplified/reduced signature that can be pasted securely via Gmail's signature editor.

You can also use this Code Beautify tool (with the "Minify HTML" button) or the following resources:
Gmail Email Signature Too Long Error Message
How to Fix Gmail's "The Signature is too long. Please try a shorter signature" error. [Tutorial] [Ne...

I hope this helps!

Have a great day!

Best,
Bérangère

Saviez-vous que la Communauté est disponible en Français ?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings!

mdalluge

SOLVE

If users have to use  Code Beautify tool (with the "Minify HTML" button) - why wouldn't Hubspot apply this to their signature.  You are asking the application that owns the signature "Gmail" to make modififications, rather wouldn't it make sense that Hubspot makes modifications so their bloated code doesn't cause an issue?

Tomspeer6

SOLVE

How do you completely refresh the google settings page?

0 Upvotes
ZTeutsch

SOLVE

I just tried to use the tool, skipped a CTA, skipped the social buttons and still had this error arise. Are the basic templates incompatible with gmail? 
I've tried deleting most pieces we'd want and am still getting the error message. 

gil1001
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Removing the social icond did the work, thank you

0 Upvotes
BlueJaySocial
Participant

SOLVE

I've been having this problem and have been working on solving it, much like a crossword, for about 2 hours. My eyes are stinging something rotten! Need to sleep but this has become a compulsion... Smiley Very Happy

I realised straight away it only started causing me problems when I added in the social icons. I've only got three tiny little icons. 

Basic research on the web tells me it's not to do with the front-user side but the back-user side, all the coding behind the scenes. With those social media buttons it must be fairly sizable. Don't know why. I tried reducing tha names into those short urls, didn't help.

I want to solve this before I sleep It's 00:32 here. zzz