Email Marketing Tool

LBergstrom
Participant

Setting up a one-year anniversary email?

SOLVE

Hello,

I'm trying to send our donors an email one year after their first donation. I have first donation date in a contact field. I made a "contact date property" workflow, but of course I don't want to send the email the same day they donate, but one year after (and only once, not every year on the anniverary of their first donation.)

I can say to send the email 365 days after the first donate date, but that won't account for leap years.

So, how do I do this? Currently I'm thinking of setting it to recur annually and using an if/then branch to only email people whose first gift was between 364 and 367 days ago. But it's super inelegant and I don't know if it will work.

Any help?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LBergstrom,

If you want this workflow to only run once, have you considered using a date-centered workflow and unenrolling contacts where the date property is more than 366 days ago? You could either do this via workflow Goals or use Settings > Unenrollment and suppression.

That way, it would be the correct but only one iteration.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
LBergstrom
Participant

SOLVE

[menat to makes this a reply to Karsten; can't delete it]

Thanks, I think what's confusing to me is the issue of years. Technically, the field I'm using incldues a year, but I want Hubspot to look only at month and day. It sounds like a date-based workflow can do that but only if you select "recur annually", at least according to this page: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/workflows/create-center-on-a-date-or-center-on-a-date-property-contact...When setting a Contact date property workflow to recur annually, the workflow will use the day and month of the property value, ignoring the year. In other words, actions in annually recurring workflows will be scheduled relative to the day and month in the current year."]

So if I only enroll people less than a year from their first donation and then I unenroll them when they're more than a year from their first sdonation, I think it will send one email, even though I think I have to also turn recur annually on.

LBergstrom_1-1679085346235.png

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LBergstrom,

If you want this workflow to only run once, have you considered using a date-centered workflow and unenrolling contacts where the date property is more than 366 days ago? You could either do this via workflow Goals or use Settings > Unenrollment and suppression.

That way, it would be the correct but only one iteration.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

LBergstrom
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks, I think what's confusing to me is the issue of years. Technically, the field I'm using incldues a year, but I want Hubspot to look only at month and day. It sounds like a date-based workflow can do that but only if you select "recur annually", at least according to this page: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/workflows/create-center-on-a-date-or-center-on-a-date-property-contact...When setting a Contact date property workflow to recur annually, the workflow will use the day and month of the property value, ignoring the year. In other words, actions in annually recurring workflows will be scheduled relative to the day and month in the current year."]

So if I only enroll people less than a year from their first donation and then I unenroll them when they're more than a year from their first sdonation, I think it will send one email, even though I think I have to also turn recur annually on.

LBergstrom_0-1679088398191.png

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LBergstrom,

I think both would work – in any case, enabling the recurring option doesn't do any harm if you have unenrollment criteria for contacts where date is more than a year ago. Have you tested this with a test contact?

Best regards

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes