Email Marketing Tool

JamesSourceUK
Participant

Setting Subscription Status to Unsubscribe by Default - New Contacts

SOLVE

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could help me?

I'm about to send an email to an active list in my HubSpot to ask them to update their email preferences. Hopefully, people will then unsubscribe/confirm their subscription, etc.

However, I was wondering if you know how to set a new profile's subscription status to unsubscribed by default? 

Big thanks 🙂

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JamesSourceUK,

If you enable the GDPR settings, specifically the 'Legal basis required' option, HubSpot will automatically exclude contacts from marketing emails when they have not made a choice ( = when the subscription status is empty / not opted).

You can learn more about this here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/privacy-and-consent/how-do-i-turn-on-gdpr-functionality-in-my-hubspot-...

If this is not enough and you want to automatically unsubscribe contacts from each subscription type, you would need a contact-based workflow that enrolls contacts when their subscription status for any subscription is not opted and then sets this opt status to opted out.

I don't think this is a good idea however. You wouldn't be able to tell apart contacts that have opted out from those that simply have not made a choice. That's exactly what the not opted status is for.

(This reply does not constitute legal advice.)

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JamesSourceUK,

If you enable the GDPR settings, specifically the 'Legal basis required' option, HubSpot will automatically exclude contacts from marketing emails when they have not made a choice ( = when the subscription status is empty / not opted).

You can learn more about this here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/privacy-and-consent/how-do-i-turn-on-gdpr-functionality-in-my-hubspot-...

If this is not enough and you want to automatically unsubscribe contacts from each subscription type, you would need a contact-based workflow that enrolls contacts when their subscription status for any subscription is not opted and then sets this opt status to opted out.

I don't think this is a good idea however. You wouldn't be able to tell apart contacts that have opted out from those that simply have not made a choice. That's exactly what the not opted status is for.

(This reply does not constitute legal advice.)

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.