Email Marketing Tool

IVRCMO
Contributor

Sendability issues... Hubspot send IP is blocklisted

SOLVE

We recently sent out an important email to known contacts (who regularly receive direct emails from us) from a known sender on our team, "Ken." Despite these contacts always responding to direct emails from "Ken," the marketing email from "Ken" to about 250 confirmed contacts resulted in only a 20% open rate (a minimalist email with only 2 links and 2 images). A random sample of 10 recipients found that 9 did not receive the email -- and the email was also not found in their junk or spam folder.

Our connected domain's DNS is properly set up according to HS directions, and our IT team has confirmed this several times.

Sending a test email to MXtoolbox resulted in a failure of proper TXT and DKIM settings, however, SendForensics scored deliverability above 70%.

We've been noticing a slow decline of open rates over the past  year, but this is getting really serious:
A significant percentage of 250+ people who regularly respond to emails from us, appear to be not getting a marketing email sent from Hubspot.

What steps should we consider to fix this? And please, DO NOT RESPOND with something like, "have their IT department allow list" or something like that... because THEY ARE getting individual emails sent by "Ken" and the rest of our team.

1 Accepted solution
paxton
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

SORBS is a blocklist, which is a little different than a blacklist. They aim to put all marketing email shared IP's on their blocklist. HubSpot sends marketing email through shared IP's so they are accomplishing their aim by putting us on their blocklist.

Fortunately, SORBS listings cause virtually zero bounces (quarantines, spam folder placement, etc...). For example the SORBS bounce rate last month was 0.0011% of sends on affected IPs in August. This is low because the recipients that use SORBS service to filter spam are also agreeing to block third-party-sent marketing email, which many IT security professionals deem to be too aggressive.

They are rare, but if you are actually seeing bounces that reference SORBS, in general my advice would be to respect the security systems that the recipient put in place to protect their inbox. However, in the case that the recipient themselves expresses to your organization that they want your email, then you should--and I'm sorry for saying this--have them whitelist your portal's marketing IP's. They would need to make an exception for our marketing email as it is against their general email policy.

View solution in original post

41 Replies 41
IVRCMO
Contributor

SOLVE

@paxton

I think you misunderstood the issue. (and I did mention in the opening post that our DNS settings have been confirmed seveal times)

These are existing contacts in our CRM who regularly receive and respond to direct emails from"ken@ourdomain".

A significant percentage of these contacts did not receive the marketing email, sent from "ken@ourdomain". No bounces, none in junk folders, none in spam folders.

Clearly, these emails are being quarantined by a firewall or enterprise spam filter... despite direct emails from "ken@ourdomain" being allowed through to the recipient.

0 Upvotes
paxton
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

I understood that these email addresses exist.

Quarantining, black-hole bounces, being caught in a firewall/"enterprise spam filter", and spam folder placement are all generally symptoms of the same root issue... graymail, or a low overall open rate.

Your marketing/sales email has a different reputation than whatever system you use for direct emails, and if for some reason that reputation has issues the first thing you are going to want to do is remove historically low engaged contacts. Otherwise, your ability to deliver to the engaged may be compromised.

IVRCMO
Contributor

SOLVE

How would an email from someone with whom these recipients regularly engage, fall into a graymail hole?

0 Upvotes
paxton
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Very few can speak to the specifics of Gmail's algorithm for inbox placement but, in general, it all depends on a sender's overall open/click/reply rate. (average of all Gmail users)

If that rate falls below a certain threshold, then it will result in placement in other places besides the inbox. If it goes past some other threshold (lower than the former) it may not matter if that specific user has engaged.

IVRCMO
Contributor

SOLVE

Where did Gmail come into this?

These are corporate recipients, on a wide range of email systems.

In fact, the few @gmail recipients are among the only contacts who are reliably getting the emails.

0 Upvotes
paxton
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Any domain that uses Google suite will use the same anti spam engine.

Microsoft, and Yahoo, just to name a few all use similar engines.

0 Upvotes
IVRCMO
Contributor

SOLVE

So here's the problem. The IP we're paying Hubspot to use for email marketing is blacklisted.

blacklist.png

TMc1

SOLVE

I am having this same issue - did you ever get this resolved? This is NOT GOOD.

0 Upvotes
jphilbrook
Contributor | Partner
Contributor | Partner

SOLVE

So I had/have this problem with a client that uses HubSpot for CMS, Sales, and Marketing. I found (as others shared on this thread) that more than 1 of the shared IPs were on the blocklist. I did a few tests with MailChimp and found much better deliverability. They use HubSpot for everything so migrating off HubSpot was a big decision. 

We ended up subscribing to a private IP and using MailChimp until it was warmed up. It still isn't great, but it is MUCH better than the shared IP. We still supplement with MailChimp for contacts that are considered unengaged by HubSpot. We also target those contacts through LinkedIn targeted ads trying to get them to engage. 
It is really frustrating and asking the customers to allowlist the IP one-by-one is a non-starter. Hope this helps.  

TheRealBritt
Contributor

SOLVE

We're having a similar experience.  I got a dedicated HubSpot IP to try and get more of my emails delivered.  In Mid-May, the number of unengaged emails shot through the roof!  We have put the unengaged lists through MailChimp and had better success.  In addition, I use a system called MailShake for cold email outreach (it's designed for that) and I'm getting as good a response as my opt-in lists.  The MailShake system has a bunch of rules for getting into inboxes and out of spam folders such as text only, no images, 2 links max, etc.  I think email filters have changed and are blocking emails from MailChimp, HubSpot, etc. and blocking emails with images, too many links, etc.

We're also retargeting with social media ads and RollWorks ads (B2B arm of AdRoll) which is helping.

kb3
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

SOLVE

Hi there @TheRealBritt  - good insight in your post, sorry this is months later - what were your outcomes? 

0 Upvotes
jphilbrook
Contributor | Partner
Contributor | Partner

SOLVE

It is really odd behavior from HubSpot and frustrating. I have never used MailShake. Thank you for the tip. I'll check that out. 

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @TMc1 , did the solution not worked on your end?  The more information, screenshots, and details you can provide, the better I can advise on the next steps.

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
paxton
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

SORBS is a blocklist, which is a little different than a blacklist. They aim to put all marketing email shared IP's on their blocklist. HubSpot sends marketing email through shared IP's so they are accomplishing their aim by putting us on their blocklist.

Fortunately, SORBS listings cause virtually zero bounces (quarantines, spam folder placement, etc...). For example the SORBS bounce rate last month was 0.0011% of sends on affected IPs in August. This is low because the recipients that use SORBS service to filter spam are also agreeing to block third-party-sent marketing email, which many IT security professionals deem to be too aggressive.

They are rare, but if you are actually seeing bounces that reference SORBS, in general my advice would be to respect the security systems that the recipient put in place to protect their inbox. However, in the case that the recipient themselves expresses to your organization that they want your email, then you should--and I'm sorry for saying this--have them whitelist your portal's marketing IP's. They would need to make an exception for our marketing email as it is against their general email policy.

Lanyana

SOLVE

Weare having the same issue. we cannot send to any gmail or Office 360. Gmail make up 48K of our database. 

IVRCMO
Contributor

SOLVE

Our ticket history shows this is not the first time we've had issues with send IP's being blacklisted, and also not the first time with that specific IP.

Wonderful, we're paying Hubspot to have our email domain associated with blacklisted IP's... just great.

0 Upvotes
IVRCMO
Contributor

SOLVE

On a support chat; Hubspot KNEW that IP was blacklisted, but didn't remove it from the pool of servers sending emails.

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

QQ @IVRCMO, is that IP a dedicated IP you guys are paying for separately, or a HubSpot community IP address?

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
IVRCMO
Contributor

SOLVE

It's not dedicated.

But also not our first time having issues with that specific IP.

0 Upvotes
Iryna
Participant

SOLVE

Hi there! Was this ever resolved for you? We are encountering the same exact issue.

I wonder how many customers are considering switching to another ESP because of this. Thank you!

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

- see [Resources] Email Deliverability

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes