Email Marketing Tool

CSPIERS4

Send email to an Alias

SOLVE

Hi, 

I sent an internal email through Hubspot and instead of adding each contact, I used an Alias (ex = corporate@company.com

In my reporting section, I see the correct number of clicks but a number of Opens that is not consistent (4 opens, 31 clicks, 200 sent through alias) 

Do you know why I have the wrong number of opens?

Thank you

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Send email to an Alias

SOLVE

Hi @CSPIERS4,

I don't quite understand this part:

@CSPIERS4 wrote:

4 opens, 31 clicks, 200 sent through alias

How can an email be sent 200x to one email address?

One reason for skewed metrics is that some email clients pre-load an email when a user is navigating through their inbox. Especially if you're sending an email to an address that corresponds to a group, you won't get reliable email metrics. There's a higher likelihood of the email being forwarded, some users might have blocked loading of email elements (such as the tracking pixel) but will still click on a link (which could be correctly registered).

Also, with one email address, HubSpot thinks of the recipient as one natural person. This alone could skew the metrics, e.g. when email interactions happen at the exact same time.

In other words: Even if open and click numbers would look somewhat realistic, personally, I would not rely on them.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

NeerajTrikha
Solution
Contributor

Send email to an Alias

SOLVE

Hi @CSPIERS4 , 

From looks for it, I agree with @karstenkoehler , this could be due to email sent to "Distribution list / DLs" which can have n number of user IDs linked to it. 

While this could look like reduced number of emails on "send to", you already have the result on how reporting would be flawed. The number of opens would only pertain to DL Inboxes' (if any) Admins opens up the email.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
NeerajTrikha
Solution
Contributor

Send email to an Alias

SOLVE

Hi @CSPIERS4 , 

From looks for it, I agree with @karstenkoehler , this could be due to email sent to "Distribution list / DLs" which can have n number of user IDs linked to it. 

While this could look like reduced number of emails on "send to", you already have the result on how reporting would be flawed. The number of opens would only pertain to DL Inboxes' (if any) Admins opens up the email.

I hope this helps.

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Send email to an Alias

SOLVE

Hi @CSPIERS4,

I don't quite understand this part:

@CSPIERS4 wrote:

4 opens, 31 clicks, 200 sent through alias

How can an email be sent 200x to one email address?

One reason for skewed metrics is that some email clients pre-load an email when a user is navigating through their inbox. Especially if you're sending an email to an address that corresponds to a group, you won't get reliable email metrics. There's a higher likelihood of the email being forwarded, some users might have blocked loading of email elements (such as the tracking pixel) but will still click on a link (which could be correctly registered).

Also, with one email address, HubSpot thinks of the recipient as one natural person. This alone could skew the metrics, e.g. when email interactions happen at the exact same time.

In other words: Even if open and click numbers would look somewhat realistic, personally, I would not rely on them.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.