Email Marketing Tool

sflynn
Participant

Search Functionality Marketing Emails

SOLVE

With the new spreadsheet-like layout, the search functionality has also changed. Previously, you could search for any string within the Email Name and get a result. Now, however, you must search for the full Email Name, in order, to find anything. For example, we have a particular set of naming conventions for our emails that include the [WebsiteName][Type of Email][Name of Series]. It was very quick and easy to search for the "Name of Series," but now I must type in the other 2 pieces that are repeated among many emails.

This has become a tedious time waster since I have to type long strings to locate any of our hundreds of emails to clone. Please update the search function to work like it did before. You should be able to locate any string in any place in the email name.

2 Accepted solutions
BérangèreL
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @sflynn, @Jnix284, and @danmoyle,

Thanks for your patience as I was checking on this for you!

I got feedback from our Product Team and the search works slightly differently to the old version.

To clarify: if "NRR" is a separate word or appears at the start of the word - example: "NRRETpodcast", you will get the result by searching for "NRR".

However, in this case, given it is at the end of the string, you need to add an asterisk before the search term to get the result.

So, by putting for example "*NRR", then, the emails you are looking for will show up in your search.

Hope that helps!

Have a great day!

Best,
Bérangère

Saviez-vous que la Communauté est disponible en Français ?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings!

View solution in original post

Jnix284
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

@BérangèreL this is wonderful news, I'm glad to hear that it's still possible to search for a partial string using a wild card. 🙌

Thank you for raising this issue @sflynn, hopefully with the new *NRR search option you can be back to business as usual! 

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19
danmoyle

SOLVE

Hey there @sflynn. To corroborate the experience of @Jnix284 here, when I'm searching inmy marketing emails, I can see all the emails with just one word or phrase as the example below shows. 

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 8.32.24 AM.png

If I use the top navigation bar to search for "thanks," I do get more results that may not be what I'm looking for. 

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 8.34.49 AM.png

If that's what you're referring to, I'd suggest using the search in marketing email directly rather than the top search. 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
sflynn
Participant

SOLVE

In your example, you can search the word "Thanks" because there are spaces around it. However, I need to search for letters within a string. You can see in my reply below what I mean. So if I have something called "ETpodcastNRR," I need to search just for the letters, "NRR." This was something I could do prior to the update.

0 Upvotes
Jnix284

SOLVE

I missed this reply @sflynn, even though it's part of a string, "sight" still is part of a string of the word "insight" in @danmoyle's example below.

I thought it could be the string issue, which is why I suggested adding spaces, but after testing in my account it also works.

Longshot - can you try clearing your cache or using incognito to see if there's something in your browser causing this to happen, I've checked multiple portals and can't replicate.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

sflynn
Participant

SOLVE

@Jnix284 Yes, it's part of the string "insight" but that screenshot shows the old interface. That interface and search function has worked well for the past 5+ years. If you try that same search in the new interface it just doesn't work.

0 Upvotes
danmoyle

SOLVE

@sflynn hmm interesting. When I search for "sight," I'm coming up with our Impulse Insights newsletter in the results. 

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 9.33.14 AM.png

Not trying to argue, just sharing my experience. 

Moving forward for naming conventions it may be best to keep spaces or dashes. I think that would solve for it. 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
sflynn
Participant

SOLVE

That screenshot looks like the old interface. One of our accounts still has that, and thankfully, I'm able to search that way. However, our biggest account was forced into the new interface where that just doesn't work.

Unfortunately, changing our naming convention would require a huge update to our backend processing for metrics. We send a LOT of emails per month, so not such an easy solution for us.

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @sflynn, thank you for bringing this concern to our attention. 

While we cannot provide an immediate solution, we will prioritize this matter and work towards reinstating a more intuitive and user-friendly search function that aligns with your workflow needs. I want to invite our top experts to share some workarounds @danmoyle, @Josh, and @Jnix284. Do you have any recommendations for the @sflynn matter?

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

sflynn
Participant

SOLVE

@PamCotton My role is the Director of Email and I can send 5-10 custom HTML emails a day (while drafting an additional 5-10), so quickly searching for the correct template is an absolute must. Since our emails have many different clients and advertisers, our metrics team has a procedure for pulling all email results. This procedure requires a specific naming convention. Even something as simple as adding a space or hyphen can completely break that, so they would need to overhaul the entire process on their end. It seems very uneccessary since this was not a problem prior to this interface update.

I have been doing this for over 6 years with Hubspot and have really honed my processes. However, this update has really wrecked my workflow and is costing me a lot of time. You should be able to search for 2-4 letters within any place in a string.

BérangèreL
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @sflynn,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience regarding this.

I would like to apologize for the frustration, data issues, and business impact this has caused.

I'd like to thank you for sharing your valuable feedback! This means a lot to us.
I have shared this internally for more visibility and I upvoted the idea you created, thank you.

Also, thank you so much @Jnix284 and @danmoyle for your precious help, as always!

Have a good day.

Best,
Bérangère

Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Jnix284

SOLVE

Thank you @BérangèreL for escalating this internally! 🙌

BérangèreL
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @sflynn, @Jnix284, and @danmoyle,

Thanks for your patience as I was checking on this for you!

I got feedback from our Product Team and the search works slightly differently to the old version.

To clarify: if "NRR" is a separate word or appears at the start of the word - example: "NRRETpodcast", you will get the result by searching for "NRR".

However, in this case, given it is at the end of the string, you need to add an asterisk before the search term to get the result.

So, by putting for example "*NRR", then, the emails you are looking for will show up in your search.

Hope that helps!

Have a great day!

Best,
Bérangère

Jnix284
Solution

SOLVE

@BérangèreL this is wonderful news, I'm glad to hear that it's still possible to search for a partial string using a wild card. 🙌

Thank you for raising this issue @sflynn, hopefully with the new *NRR search option you can be back to business as usual! 

Jnix284

SOLVE

@sflynn can you share a screenshot, with sensitive information redacted, that shows the view you're talking about?

Your post mentions Marketing Email and @PamCotton mentioned Workflows, so I just want to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.

There are considerable changes to the views/functionality of workflows, I'm not seeing similar for Marketing Emails and the search functionality is working as expected for me.

Here's an example of search with a word from the end of the email name:

Jnix284_0-1709085453361.png

I couldn't find anything in Product Updates that would indicate a recent change, would love to know what you're seeing so I can dig into this further.

sflynn
Participant

SOLVE

Here is a screenshot. You can see in the first line, for example, "ETseriesIJC Pool 030424 U." Our naming convention has a lot of parts that includes [website name][type of email][name of series] [advertiser] [date] [region]. This has to do with our metrics team and how we track emails. Previously, I could quickly search for the series name, in this case, "IJC." This allowed me to copy that email to retain campaign names, sending lists, from name, etc and just update the template. Now I must type in the full first string "ETseriesIJC" in order to locate that email.Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 9.20.46 AM.png

0 Upvotes
Jnix284

SOLVE

Thanks for the screenshot @sflynn, looking at your screenshot and mine, it looks like we have the same UI - it's really strange your search functionality has changed.

Can you do a quick test with a draft email to see if adding spaces in your string would allow you to search the series?

Like this: ET series IJC Pool 030424 U

I'd be curious to see what the results are if it can see the letters as a separate word vs a longer string of words without spaces.

sflynn
Participant

SOLVE

@Jnix284 Yes, it works if I add spaces or even a hyphen. However due to how our metrics are pulled, I cannot easily change our naming convention. (We would need to overhaul our entire backend processing.) I need to be able to search for any part of that string. Clearing caches and using completely different computers/browsers does not help either.

In your screenshot, are you able to search for something like "llow" and get the same results?

0 Upvotes
Jnix284

SOLVE

@sflynn nope, I can't search for partial word, you're correct, the string search won't work:

Jnix284_0-1709137642930.png

I'm sorry to confirm the bad news here - not sure why it would change, have you already reached out to HubSpot Support to see if this was intentional?

I'd also add it as an idea here so it reaches the product managers, if you share the link back here I'll be happy to upvote.

sflynn
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks! Support wasn't much help and said they didn't see any search updates, but they said they would research and get back to me. I've added this to ideas, so hopefully it can be updated.

Jnix284

SOLVE

You're welcome, hopefully they get an answer back soon to provide more clarify on the change (or even better it was unintentional and can be fixed).

In the meantime, I've upvoted your idea!