Email Marketing Tool

NataliePatton
Participant

Remove Hover Link in Marketing Email

SOLVE

Question: I am looking to see what and where I would need to put the code to remove the pop-up in emails when you hover over images and links (I believe this is called the tooltip). 

For background: I have 3 domains in HubSpot and I send marketing emails for all. When an email is sent via HubSpot Marketing and a user hovers over images or hyperlinks in that email, it shows the Primary URL (domain A) that’s set in our HubSpot settings, even though the image or link itself doesn’t go to that domain but is instead on Domain B or C.

This is what it what I'm trying to hide: example of hoverexample of hover

I'm hoping to edit the email template in HubSpot to hide the tooltip, but I'm not sure what that code is or where it would go in the HubSpot Design Manager.

1 Accepted solution
piersg
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

I'm not an expert on this, but I think the only two things you could do to shorten the link for users on hover are 

1) disable link tracking in Hubspot emails totally (which isn't really ideal)

or

2) use a URL shortener, either the Hubspot one in Reports > Analytics Tools > Tracking URL builder, or something like bitly, which will give you a URL like https://hubs.ly/01abc_23

It's possible to achieve what you want using JS on a website but, of course, JS doesn't work in email for good reason.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13
EAGMark
Contributor

SOLVE

I have to agree with the original post and some of the responses, that we want to track the click, but that massive link with all the campaign information in there looks so spammy. I've turned off the campaign tracking for these links and it still shows the same thing.

MatzeNowak

SOLVE

Heya, is there by chance any news on this?

Have the same problem here - I believe this could perhaps be fixed with something like a fwd'ing short-URL (like bitly?) that could be generated automatically by hubspot when the eMail is generated?

These superlong links look superspammy, like i would be sending scam mails promoting some testicular lotions or something ... while indeed i'm sending newsletters on financial planning and analysis software.

This is the single only one thing that really goes on my (otherwise calmely orange) hubspotnerves.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
natsumimori
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

@piersg and @Kevin-C , would you guys be able to share how you'd approach to remove or shorten this link? I imagine this would be a completely custom coded email.

(I'll link a Community thread with the same topic here .)

0 Upvotes
piersg
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

I'm not an expert on this, but I think the only two things you could do to shorten the link for users on hover are 

1) disable link tracking in Hubspot emails totally (which isn't really ideal)

or

2) use a URL shortener, either the Hubspot one in Reports > Analytics Tools > Tracking URL builder, or something like bitly, which will give you a URL like https://hubs.ly/01abc_23

It's possible to achieve what you want using JS on a website but, of course, JS doesn't work in email for good reason.

NataliePatton
Participant

SOLVE

The issue is not how long the link is, but the fact that it defaults to the primary domain for the account. We have three brand domains for three entirely different companies. When we send an email from one domain, the hover link/tracking link routes through the HubSpot account primary domain, which is confusing and best and inappropriate at worst for a company (brand) that wants its email readers to see only its own brand.

The request is for the ability to select which brand domain is used for the tracking link. I do not consider this issue solves.

piersg
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Ah I apologise, I misunderstood.

You can see what domain is being used for click tracking in Settings > Marketing > Email > Tracking. It might be that you haven't set up your domains for email sending correctly?

Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 15.55.36.png

0 Upvotes
NataliePatton
Participant

SOLVE

No, it's that you can only select one domain for all email tracking on a Hubspot account. A solution would be the ability to select which domain should be used for tracking per email distribution, not as a global setting for the entire account.

0 Upvotes
natsumimori
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @NataliePatton ,

It is not possible to have multiple email tracking domain at this time. (Knowledge base article)

I see that you have already left a comment in this idea post. If anyone who also wants this feature to be built in HubSpot, please feel free to upvote & leave your comment in this idea post!

Thanks @piersg for sharing your knowledge!

MatzeNowak

SOLVE

Heyhey,

@NataliePatton  is seemingly referring to another issue.

@natsumimori@piersg, i already use URL shortener, but the hover-tooltip still displays a super-long link.

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @NataliePatton,

Tooltips are pop ups for when you are filling out a form to ensure you are providing the required information. 

This looks to be a preview of the link that is included in the email, which I believe is functionality of the email, not from HubSpot. While you can disable link tracking (which would significantly shorten the text shown there), there is no way within the template of the email to prevent this from happening that I am aware of. 

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
Damien
Contributor | Elite Partner
Contributor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hi @jennysowyrda 

Would turning off the link tracking still show us if someone clicked a link in the email?

We're having the same issue with huge link previews in some email clients. We don't need granular heatmaps etc showing which links were clicked, but we still want to know if links in the email were clicked if possible. Happy to turn off link tracking if we still get some analytics. Thanks. 

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

>>"Would turning off the link tracking still show us if someone clicked a link in the email?"

No. 'Link tracking' IS the functionality that shows us if someone clicked a link in our email. Turning if off disables all tracking and analytics for clicks AND opens.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
DenizBergmann
Participant | Diamond Partner
Participant | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hello =),

does anybody has another solution for solving the "huge-link-preview"-problem? I´m sure its a HubSpot-Problem because other Newsletter-Tools also offer link-tracking but they don´t show these huge links.

Thank you 😃

Deniz