Email Marketing Tool

ALloyd7
Participant

Poor Email Open Rate

SOLVE

Hi all,  

We switched over from Mailchimp to Hubspot about 6 months ago and have seen a massive drop in our email open rate. We were averaging around 22-25% when we were sending them out via mailchimp but now are only seeing around 12-17% with hubspot. 
All subscribers have opted in, and I have tried mixing up the subject line but doesn't seem to make a difference (and I don't think that is the issue). it is saying our spam report rate is only 0.05% but I feel like it is probably much higher than this. 
Any tips on how to drive this up? It is starting to look really bad on our reporting when our average email open rate has dropped 10% on STLY

3 Accepted solutions
Aseemgupta
Solution
Member | Platinum Partner

Poor Email Open Rate

SOLVE

Hi @ALloyd7 ,

Poor email open rates indicates most of the emails landed in the junk folders. Multiple factors are involved in emails landing in the junk folders

1. DKIM and SPF setup on DNS systems
  2. DMARC Setup prevents domain spoofing
  3. Data Sources - Purchased Data
  4. Sending emails to non-engaged contacts consistently.

Recommendations 

1. Send emails to engaged contacts (Opens/clicks)
  2. Use HubSpot feature ' send emails in recipient's timezone.
  3. Review all technical configurations in DNS (DKIM and SPF)

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

If this answer helps your query, please mark it as solution.

Thanks

Aseem

View solution in original post

YoelBen-Avraham
Solution
Contributor

Poor Email Open Rate

SOLVE

I question when you made the transition from Mailchimp to HubSpot. One theory is that HubSpot's analytics measure the Open Rate for Apple devices based on an estimation of actual "manual" opens instead of automatic opens. Mailchimp doesn't seem to be that discriminating.

andrus
Solution
Top Contributor

Poor Email Open Rate

SOLVE

Hubspot's deliverability should be comparable to MailChimp. If you've already done all the technical checks I can think of three possible reasons:

1. HubSpot and Mailchimp have different open rate calculation standards (as mentioned before)
  2. Something in your email database health has changed in the last 6 months e.g. less engaged people have joined recently (usually one shouldn't compare different time periods)

One way to know for sure is to send the next campaign with a 50-50 split from HubSpot and MailChimp and then not only compare open rate (that can be subject to different definitions) but also CTR. 

Andrus Purde | Outfunnel - The easiest way to connect sales and marketing tools

8 Replies 8
NTunnicliffe
Participant

Poor Email Open Rate

SOLVE

Hi, we are now having the exact same issue - did you ever get anywhere with it?

0 Upvotes
paigemoss

Poor Email Open Rate

SOLVE

Did you receive any answers on this? We've run into the same issue. Went from an open rate of 25-30% in MailChimp to 5-10% in HubSpot.

I am very skeptical of HS reporiting, as I've run a few tests where I have opened the email and clicked links in a browser, phone mail and desktop mail, and that user still shows as "delivered/unopened". 

andrus
Solution
Top Contributor

Poor Email Open Rate

SOLVE

Hubspot's deliverability should be comparable to MailChimp. If you've already done all the technical checks I can think of three possible reasons:

1. HubSpot and Mailchimp have different open rate calculation standards (as mentioned before)
  2. Something in your email database health has changed in the last 6 months e.g. less engaged people have joined recently (usually one shouldn't compare different time periods)

One way to know for sure is to send the next campaign with a 50-50 split from HubSpot and MailChimp and then not only compare open rate (that can be subject to different definitions) but also CTR. 

Andrus Purde | Outfunnel - The easiest way to connect sales and marketing tools
YoelBen-Avraham
Solution
Contributor

Poor Email Open Rate

SOLVE

I question when you made the transition from Mailchimp to HubSpot. One theory is that HubSpot's analytics measure the Open Rate for Apple devices based on an estimation of actual "manual" opens instead of automatic opens. Mailchimp doesn't seem to be that discriminating.

Aseemgupta
Solution

Poor Email Open Rate

SOLVE

Hi @ALloyd7 ,

Poor email open rates indicates most of the emails landed in the junk folders. Multiple factors are involved in emails landing in the junk folders

1. DKIM and SPF setup on DNS systems
  2. DMARC Setup prevents domain spoofing
  3. Data Sources - Purchased Data
  4. Sending emails to non-engaged contacts consistently.

Recommendations 

1. Send emails to engaged contacts (Opens/clicks)
  2. Use HubSpot feature ' send emails in recipient's timezone.
  3. Review all technical configurations in DNS (DKIM and SPF)

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

If this answer helps your query, please mark it as solution.

Thanks

Aseem

JHolden1
Participant

Poor Email Open Rate

SOLVE

Thank you Aseem. We have had this same experience of a roughly 50% drop in opens and CTR. The delivery rates are the same between platforms.

Can you be more precise on the changes/configurations that might be needed to DKIM, SPF, and DMARC?

Thanks in advance, 

Jay

0 Upvotes
ALloyd7
Participant

Poor Email Open Rate

SOLVE

Thanks Aseem, we already have all these suggestions in place. Not sure what else we can do if they are going to junk. This hasn't really been an issue until we came over to Hubspot

0 Upvotes
HyperFastAgent
Participant

Poor Email Open Rate

SOLVE

Hi ! We have been having the same issue after coming to HS from Keap (Infusion Soft). Our open rate used to be 25-30%, now it is only %5 . The drop is too sagnificant . Any advice?

0 Upvotes