Email Marketing Tool

ThomasVallée
Participant

Personalization token as default value

Résolue

Hi there,

Is it possible to use a personalization token as the default value (of another personalization token) in a marketing mail ?

For example, we use the token "First Name" but if the value is unknown we would like to use the token "Email adress".

I have looked at the smart rules component but I'm not sure it be relevant for this particular use case.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Thomas

0 Votes
1 Solution acceptée
karstenkoehler
Solution
Au panthéon de la communauté | Partenaire solutions

Résolue

Hi @ThomasVallée,

This is not possible via personalization tokens directly, I tested this just now. If you add {{ contact.email }} (the syntax for the personalization token) as the default value of another property, it simply resolves into an empty box in the recipient's inbox:

karstenkoehler_1-1664451905045.png

It might be possible to achieve this with programmable email but there's actually an easier way. Simply create a smart rule in your marketing email: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/website-pages/create-and-manage-smart-content-rules#add-smart-content-...

You would have to create a list first that populates with all contacts where the first name is known. You can then set up a smart rule in your email: show first name when contact is in this list. Show email address when contact is not on the list.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

6 Réponses
niederberger
Participant

Résolue

Hello. I did try to do the same thing and if you add this to an HTML block {{ contact.firstname }} I get the firstname out. I know it's not exaclty what you were looking for but maybe you can use that somehow 🙂

karstenkoehler
Solution

Résolue

Hi @ThomasVallée,

This is not possible via personalization tokens directly, I tested this just now. If you add {{ contact.email }} (the syntax for the personalization token) as the default value of another property, it simply resolves into an empty box in the recipient's inbox:

karstenkoehler_1-1664451905045.png

It might be possible to achieve this with programmable email but there's actually an easier way. Simply create a smart rule in your marketing email: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/website-pages/create-and-manage-smart-content-rules#add-smart-content-...

You would have to create a list first that populates with all contacts where the first name is known. You can then set up a smart rule in your email: show first name when contact is in this list. Show email address when contact is not on the list.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

ThomasVallée
Participant

Résolue

Hi @karstenkoehler,

Thank you for taking the time to do some tests and to help me.

I tried different syntaxes as well but none worked. 

When previewing an email from the marketing emails list, the syntax is a little bit different from what you can see when editing the content (see below) :

ThomasValle_0-1664452907040.png

I thought I might found a workaround but unfortunately I'm still a Hubspot rookie 😊.

With a heavy heart, I will consider creating and using a smart rule...😏

Once again, thank you @deepikaverma and @karstenkoehler !

Best regards,

Thomas

0 Votes
deepikaverma
Guide | Partenaire solutions

Résolue

Hi @ThomasVallée ,

We can't set the global defaults to the email address of the contact if its first name is missing because both of these are two different properties. 
- However, you can set a Global default value for the first name property if it is missing and that default value will be visible for the contact.
- Go to Setting > Marketing > Emails> Personnalization> Contact Property Defaults > Edit Defaults

deepikaverma_0-1664447998619.png

I hope it helps!
Thank you.

Reference article: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email/how-do-i-create-default-values-for-my-personalization-tokens

0 Votes
ThomasVallée
Participant

Résolue

Hi @deepikaverma,

Thank you very much for your answer, unfortunately that's not exactly what I was looking for 😅.

Do you think it's absolutely impossible to use a personalization token as a default value, even with some code ?

Best regards,

Thomas

0 Votes
deepikaverma

Résolue

Hi @ThomasVallée 
I don't have much experience with programmable emails however @karstenkoehler  has given the alternative of the smart content rule.
Thank you!

0 Votes