Email Marketing Tool

BobBartel

Passing Parameters to the URL on a button

SOLVE

I'm creating an email template.  Can anyone tell me how to pass a parameter to the URL of a button?  For example, I have a button labelled "Send Sample".  I need to know at least the name, or email address of the person making the request so I can look up their address, etc. in order to send the sample.

I'm hoping that the [email address] or some other parameter can be sent to the URL so the server can capture that information.

Does anyone know how this can be done?  Thanks in Advance!!

1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

If your 'button' is a HubSpot CTA it's not eligible for use with personalization tokens -- see this thread.

That being said, you may build an image button (non-CTA) and link to it manually using a personalization token (see same thread).

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
AbdulMoeez

SOLVE

Hi All,

This can be done. A workaround is as follows

• Add button in the marketing email.
  • Find the internal name of the property that holds the URL
  • Add object name before the internal name. e.g contact.internal_name
  • Encapsulate internal name it in curly brackets. e.g {{contact.internal_name}}
  • add it in Button URL

AbdulMoeez_0-1636523865337.png

MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

If your 'button' is a HubSpot CTA it's not eligible for use with personalization tokens -- see this thread.

That being said, you may build an image button (non-CTA) and link to it manually using a personalization token (see same thread).

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
BobBartel

SOLVE

Thank you. 

Where can you get a list of all of the tokens?  

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Not aware of a 'list' of personalization tokens. However, most default and custom properties are available for use as personalization tokens per the following article.

- see Personalize your HubSpot content

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
BobBartel

SOLVE

We're getting close.  I guess what I'm asking is what is the syntax of the property? 

In the example we have {{contact.email}}.  But what if I create a custom property like "my custom property" with spaces.  What is the syntax of the token:

1. {{contact.my custom property}}

2. {{contact.mycustomproperty}}

3. {{contact.my_custom_property}}

4. ??

Thanks!!

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

You'll need to use what's known as the 'internal value' for the property. These are highly specific to each property, as the ability to edit these internal values within HubSpot has evolved over time and is now totally prohibited.

That being said, the general syntax replaces spaces and most other special characters with the underscore character ('_') -- as shown in your example #3.

Best way to be certain what the internal value for any given property is is to view the property within the HubSpot UI. Once in the property definition dialog you'll want to click on the '</>' symbol to reveal the internal value.

- see image

HubSpot Properties Internal ValuesHubSpot Properties Internal Values

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes