Email Marketing Tool

CKnight85
Participant

Opted out contacts not filtering when the list is exported

SOLVE

Hello,

My team have been experiencing a 'glitch' for lack of a better word when dealing with opted-out contacts on our mailing lists:

• If a contact unsubscribes, we go to their contact page and opt them out manually.
  • Later, if we try to Export the list as a CSV file with the options 'Opted out of email marketing information' and 'Opted out of email: one to one' added, when opening the file in Excel not all of the opted-out contacts are being highlighted when we try to filter them out.

Is there a cause for this? Are we doing anything wrong or could it be an issue with Hubspot itself even? Thought it would be best to ask the community for advice as we haven't been able to find a cause for it yet!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CKnight85,

When opting contacts out via the dropdown, that updates the Unsubscribed from all email field. Don't ask me why but it doesn't necessarily update the "Opted out of email" properties. That's why you're seeing a discrepancy. You should look at Unsubscribed from all email.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CKnight85,

Can you elaborate how exactly you are unsubscribing contacts? Do you opt them out of all email or do you opt them out of individual subscription types?

Which filters do you do you use on the contact index page (Menu > Contacts > Contacts) before exporting?

What exactly do you mean when you say not all contacts are highlighted? Do you mean that some contacts do not have a value in the 'Opted out of...' properties or that some contacts are missing?

The more context and screenshots you can share here, the better I'll be able to help.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

CKnight85
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Karsten,

Of course, thanks for getting back to me. I'll do my best to explain the issue we're having more clearly.

• We have our Email Lists on Hubspot (Under Contacts > Lists)
  • If a contact tells us they'd like to unsubscribe, we navigate to their name in our list > Actions > Opt out of email
  • CKnight85_1-1686147033696.png
  • The issue we're having is when we go to Export the Email list as an CSV document via Contacts > Lists > [List name] > Export List and add the columns "Opted out of email marketing information' and 'Opted out of email: One to one'CKnight85_3-1686147349311.pngCKnight85_4-1686147451246.png

• When we open the CSV list in Excel and go to Data > Filter to filter out the contacts who we've opted out, some of the contacts aren't showing as such so we can't filter them out (instead of it saying 'Yes' in the opted out columns it shows as blank, as though they're still opted in to our mailing list).
  • The issue has been going on for some time now so we don't think it's a case of Exporting too soon after Opting contacts out (a couple of contacts I opted out a couple of months ago are still not being shown as Opted out in the Excel doc, despite having the orange 'opted out' badge on their contact page.
  • We're wondering if we're doing anything wrong or whether there's an issue in our system (or anything else!) that might be causing this to happen.

Does this help you with our problem? Please let me know if there's any more info you need!

Best wishes,

Charlie

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CKnight85,

When opting contacts out via the dropdown, that updates the Unsubscribed from all email field. Don't ask me why but it doesn't necessarily update the "Opted out of email" properties. That's why you're seeing a discrepancy. You should look at Unsubscribed from all email.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

CKnight85
Participant

SOLVE

Ah, thank you for the info!

We'll have a look at this, hopefully that's the issue solved.

Best wishes,

Charlie

0 Upvotes