Email Marketing Tool

MitchPhxAZ

Merging 2 Emails (Old & New Version)

SOLVE

I have a marketing email that has historical data and is part of a workflow

Instead of stopping the flow and editing the email, our designer cloned it to create a second (new) email.

How can I keep the historical date but use the new email in the workflows?

OR is the option just to edit it differently and keep the data.

1 Accepted solution
jolle
Solution
Recognized Expert | Partner

SOLVE

Thanks for the mention, @MiaSrebrnjak!

And good question, @MitchPhxAZ!

As far as I know, there's no way to merge two emails and combine historical performance data for both emails through HubSpot. You would need to export engagement data and manually merge it outside of HubSpot if you are working with two separate emails.

To your point, you could update the original email to preserve all engagement data in one place. Just keep in mind that you may not be tracking 1:1 data if you've made significant updates (like adding/removing links, CTA buttons, and images). You'd want to make a clear note somewhere indicating that date that you updated the email (like an annotation in Google Analytics).

That said, couldn't it be valuable to have separate email analytics in those separate emails to compare performance? Depending on the updates you're making in the new email, it could be helpful to see if the original or new email performs better.

If you have both emails added as assets in the same campaign, you could also check out and aggregate email performance that way. The campaign would allow you to track the original email (that would be no longer in use) alongside the new email (that is in use).

That's just my take, but hopefully it helps!! 

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
jolle
Solution

SOLVE

Thanks for the mention, @MiaSrebrnjak!

And good question, @MitchPhxAZ!

As far as I know, there's no way to merge two emails and combine historical performance data for both emails through HubSpot. You would need to export engagement data and manually merge it outside of HubSpot if you are working with two separate emails.

To your point, you could update the original email to preserve all engagement data in one place. Just keep in mind that you may not be tracking 1:1 data if you've made significant updates (like adding/removing links, CTA buttons, and images). You'd want to make a clear note somewhere indicating that date that you updated the email (like an annotation in Google Analytics).

That said, couldn't it be valuable to have separate email analytics in those separate emails to compare performance? Depending on the updates you're making in the new email, it could be helpful to see if the original or new email performs better.

If you have both emails added as assets in the same campaign, you could also check out and aggregate email performance that way. The campaign would allow you to track the original email (that would be no longer in use) alongside the new email (that is in use).

That's just my take, but hopefully it helps!! 

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature
MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @MitchPhxAZ,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community!

I wanted to ask a couple of HubSpot experts for advice: 

hi @Jonno_Price@NicoleSengers@jolle, do you have any tips for @MitchPhxAZ? Thanks!

Cheers
Mia, Community Team     

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings