Email Marketing Tool

EDeutschmann

Marketing Contact Status and Opt-In

SOLVE

Hello, 

I am looking for an answer that I can't seem to find. When I manually add a new contact into Hubspot under 'Contacts', I am only given the option to set this new contact as a marketing contact. At this point, I would also like to opt-in the new contact I am creating to receive marketing updates. 

I would like to know that if by selecting this new contact as a marketing contact, would this also qualify them as being opted-in? 

Thanks you! 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @EDeutschmann,

Marketing contacts are a billing feature, it doesn't affect the opt-in status of contacts.

If you want to manage the opt-in status of a contact, you would have to manage their subscription preferences as detailed here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/manage-your-subscription-preferences-and-types Subscription types are set up in your portal settings and a contact can be opted into or out of them (or simply not opted), e.g. opted into receiving emails from your marketing information subscription type.

Additionally, sometimes used synonymously although it's something very different, there is the double opt-in feature in HubSpot, required in some countries, for example Germany. This functionality captures whether a contact has confirmed their email address. You can confirm the double opt-in for selected contacts, as explained in the article linked above (page search for "Confirm double opt-in for selected contacts").

This can be very confusing, so if you have follow-up questions, please let me know.

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @EDeutschmann,

Marketing contacts are a billing feature, it doesn't affect the opt-in status of contacts.

If you want to manage the opt-in status of a contact, you would have to manage their subscription preferences as detailed here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/manage-your-subscription-preferences-and-types Subscription types are set up in your portal settings and a contact can be opted into or out of them (or simply not opted), e.g. opted into receiving emails from your marketing information subscription type.

Additionally, sometimes used synonymously although it's something very different, there is the double opt-in feature in HubSpot, required in some countries, for example Germany. This functionality captures whether a contact has confirmed their email address. You can confirm the double opt-in for selected contacts, as explained in the article linked above (page search for "Confirm double opt-in for selected contacts").

This can be very confusing, so if you have follow-up questions, please let me know.

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

EDeutschmann

SOLVE

Hello Karsten, 

Thank you for your thorough answer. I have a follow-up question about the first paragraph on managing opt-in status. 

When I create a new contact by manually inputting their information, at what point would I be able to opt them into a specific subscription type? Would it be while I am creating the new contact, or after I have created the new contact? 

Thank you! 

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @EDeutschmann,

This cannot be done while creating the contact. After the contact has been created, you would follow these steps here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/manage-your-subscription-preferences-and-types#how-to-manage-...

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler