Email Marketing Tool

brianmcgann1

Malicious links being reported by Microsoft Office 365

Hello, we have had an issue develop in the last week or two where the links in our emails direct users to a "malicious website" warning from Microsoft Office 365. I should point out that this is not happening on emails going out via Hubspot, as far as I know, but rather through another email vendor that we use. Is anyone else experiencing this and if so, have you been able to find a resolution? Our vendor says they are actively working with Microsoft on this but the problem seems to be getting worse and not better. 

Thanks in advance.

26 Replies 26
JRembold
Participant

I just had the same problem. Hubspot gmail plug-in, sent a tracked email with links to a proposal. Client clicked on links and got Microsoft Defender warnings, couldn't open the link without help from their IT support, totally ruined the deal! @hubspot did you not QA this???? I'm looking for an alternative because this was so embarrassing!!!! This issue is over 2 years old!!!

0 Upvotes
afu
Participant

We ended up filing an appeal with Microsoft to de-list our domain. It has happened twice and both times they rescanned our domain and called it a false positive. They really need to do a better job as it affects businesses when they falsely flag sites as malicious.

hannuCR
Participant | Platinum Partner

Hi @afu, can you tell from where you filed the appeal? It's pretty hard to find the right place from Microsoft 🙂

afu
Participant

@hannuCR 

Our IT handles this for us. We're on O365. From our IT dept:

"These appeals are filed through the BMC O365 tenant under the Security section (https://security.microsoft.com/reports...).  From here you are able to submit emails, urls, or files to Microsoft for analysis.  Please let us know if you need anything else."

RBasoglu

Today, we send an e-mail to our customer. There is a warning that there is a threat named FRAUD_SCAM.WRS in the link I shared the screenshot below. I request your help on the matter. malware.PNG

afu
Participant

Yes, a ticket has been opened a few days ago, but no resolution yet.

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @afu, what is the specific malicious error you received on your end?

The more information, screenshots, and details you can provide, the better I can advise on the next steps.

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

afu
Participant

Is there any update on this? We're using a connected domain (preview.bmcepartners.com) to circumvent the new requirement to be logged in to view Previews of marketing emails, however just recently, we started being flagged. This is hurting our reputation as a company and reliable sender of emails on behalf of our clients, as the end-URLs are NOT malicious. It is also presenting our customer is a very negative light.

Yes, we are using our own domain, but from the above it appears this is occuring for others using the Hubspot domain as well. This needs resolved ASAP.

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @afuI would recommend connecting with HubSpot Technical Support, as Support is included in your subscription and they will be able to provide real-time assistance for this matter, including hopping on a screen share if necessary. This will ensure your case is solved with the specific information it was provided.

Kindly,

Pam

ChrisA_Xybix

This same thing happened to my company over the weekend. I have no idea what could possibly have triggered it and it's something I can't simply live with without a possible fix. I can't even share web links with my internal staff without those being flagged by Teams or Outlook. Is it HubSpot itself, a particular plugin/template, or something else that could be causing this? 

RKeane6

Any further developments? Thanks.

JonathanElkin
Contributor

Per today's in-app notification I notice this issue is reoccuring.  @hubspot, please can you confirm that if an email is NOT received by an intended recipient because of this problem that we, the sender, will receive an error message/notification? 

sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @MKjær @ean0723 @jjokinen @darshakparmar  @JonathanElkin  @MSouth  we're currently working with Microsoft on this right now as it seems they are flagging our links as malicious. 

I'll keep everyone updated on this as soon as we have news from our team and Microsoft. 

Thank you for your patience here.

Sharon

hannuCR

We're now having the same issue with our emails.

BDavage

Hi, any progress on this issue?

sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone! 

@MKjær @ean0723 @jjokinen @darshakparmar  @JonathanElkin  @MSouth @BDavage @RKeane6 it seems this issue has been resolved.

Could you please advise if TODAY you still having this issue? if so could you please share the impacted link?

Thanks

Sharon

NateChamp

Hello we are also having this issue, particularly from this subdomain: hubspotpreview-na1.com. I am not sure what else..

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @NateChamp , what is the error showing on your end?  The more information, screenshots, and details you can provide, the better I can advise on the next steps.

Thank you,

Pam

darshakparmar
Participant

As of now, I am not seeing any more emails being flagged as malicious. Thanks for fixing this.

TimboC
Participant

Hi,

Since this was reported, our email open rates have dropped significantly. I'm concerned that the sending domain has been flagged as spam and our emails are ladning up in junk folders.

Has anyone else experienced similar open-rate issues this week?