Limitations of the drag and drop editor

Highlighted
Colaborador Iniciante

We've used Constant Contact for ourselves and our clients for a long time. We're finding that HS's new drag and drop editor has limitations. Would love these to be fixed before we try to bring Constant Contact clients over to HS!

- No ability to add a spacer

- No ability to control how close together split elements are. If my head shot is aligned left, the HTML text with my name, phone, etc. can't be dragged next to it. Even though it's HTML text, it's treated like an image block. Gia, my production coordinator, talked to support about this. Their answer was to turn the whole thing into an image. We haven't done that in years. 

- No ability to control the spacing/padding above or below with dividers like you can in CTCT. Same thing with text blocks. 

- CTCT allows you to add a background color to each individual block. It seems like HS only gives the option of a background color or pattern behind the entire email... which doesn't always render correctly in email clients. 
2 Respostas 2
Highlighted
Ícone da Comunidade

UPDATED: 2020 -- (after more carefully RE-reading and no longer smokin crack!) haha Smiley feliz

I stand corrected. Please ignore this post. Comments below reference the HS design manager, not the DND editor. (head shaking)

Admittedly, designing cross-client, cross-browser, cross-platform emails can be challenging in any editor. (including HubSpot) That being said, honestly can't say these are issues for HubSpot trained/experienced designers. Maybe consider asking for specific help in the Design Forum ... or maybe outsourcing for help.

>>- No ability to add a spacer
Use padding or appropriate margin to inject needed space. Just be sure to test mobile responsiveness thoroughly ...

>>- No ability to control how close together split elements are. If my head shot is aligned left, the HTML text with my name, phone, etc. can't be dragged next to it. Even though it's HTML text, it's treated like an image block. Gia, my production coordinator, talked to support about this. Their answer was to turn the whole thing into an image. We haven't done that in years.
Yea. Turning the whole thing "into an image" is just crazy talk. haha Smiley feliz
This one's a little trickier. If you use image alignment on an image within a text block the whole thing goes whacky on certain clients if you try to force text to float next to it. The easiest (most cross-client complatible) solution is to use content-specific element blocks precisely sized and aligned in the template to produce the desired effect -- e.g., a 100px image block (centered) with a separate left-aligned text block next to it. Again, this is just an example for your use case if you had a 100px image and wanted left-aligned text next to it. Note, the reason we center the image in its own block is so when we view it on mobile and the text drops below the image the image is nice and centered.
[ok ... maybe a little too much detail]

>>- No ability to control the spacing/padding above or below with dividers like you can in CC. Same thing with text blocks. 
Admittedly, there are issues with this, but all the one's we've seen are email client-dependent. All clients don't handle HTML tables the same. In fact, we even see some of the same challenges with page elements when comparing cross-browser. Again, gotta ask the desi guys. Some of their HubSpot kung fu is wicked powerful.

>>- CC allows you to add a background color to each individual block.
Inject inline CSS at the tr or td level to make it work. Even then, all email clients may not honor the color change (not naming names ... Microsoft).

Bottom line?

Again, custom email design will continue to be a pain in the assets on ALL platforms until we can get all humans on the planet to use a single universal email client, or to agree on style standardization. Won't happen until all restaurants become 5-star Taco Bell! haha [from Demolition Man the movie]

Note: HubSpot is a constantly evolving platform. Please check the date of each post and view all solutions in that context -- see Marketing Hub Enterprise 2020.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

Support • Web • Apps • Training

HubSpot's Hiring World-Wide!

Colaborador Frequente | Parceiro Platinum

Frank is your reply about the new drag and drop email client or the design editor? Because some of your answers don't apply to the drag and drop email. There are no table options or padding available in this version.