Email Marketing Tool

acritch
Participant

Internal notification emails

SOLVE

My team is asking me to use a HubSpot form to trigger emails to other team members to set up evaluations of our product. Here is the flow:

1. Sales fills out form with evaluation details.

2. Email/notification/something goes out to our Eval Support team to setup the evaluation. This something should contain the contact details filled out by the sales person in step 1.

3. Once eval support has done setup, they go into HubSpot and change a property to TRUE, which will trigger another workflow notification.

4. A second email/notification/something goes out to our engineering manager alerting him to assign the engineer to the eval.

5. Once this engineer is assigned, another email/notification/something goes out to the engineer with the contact details of the eval contact.

So my question is: for my step 2, what is the best way to send the information to a teammate? I have tried to create an "internal email" but it does not populate with the workflow contact info, but rather the recipient's info. I have also tried an in-app Notification, but the text limit is too small for my purpose.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas of how to provide all the info needed to my team in an email/notification outside of the normal form submission notification emails? I couldn't find anything in the forums that matched what I was trying to do. TYIA!

1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @acritch

If, in step 1, sales is entering the details of the contact requesting the evaluation, then your workflow/notification email system should work. 

When you create the email for your workflow, use personalisation tokens to insert the contact's information into the email. Then, in the workflow, select the email from the sent internal email action, and you should be good to go. 

Refer to this article to confirm the process: Send internal notification emails and alerts

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
12 Replies 12
GeorgeBenson

SOLVE

Perhaps you should try one of these ways https://www.plerdy.com/blog/15-email-marketing-hacks/. Have cheked a lot of them - decent tips for email marketing.

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @acritch

If, in step 1, sales is entering the details of the contact requesting the evaluation, then your workflow/notification email system should work. 

When you create the email for your workflow, use personalisation tokens to insert the contact's information into the email. Then, in the workflow, select the email from the sent internal email action, and you should be good to go. 

Refer to this article to confirm the process: Send internal notification emails and alerts

Hope this helps.

0 Upvotes
Valeriawongx

SOLVE

Hey,

I have encountered a simliar problem.

I have a current form submission. I would like to set up a workflow based on the field values and have an internal email notifaction with contact fields. I added all the tokens, but it wasn't pulling on the internal email.

What is the common issue of this? I set the trigger to be when contact submitted a form on a specific landing page.

0 Upvotes
JGood
Contributor

SOLVE

Phil,

I can't find help anywhere else and this thread was close enough. How do you test internal notification emails?  I can't for the life of me find a way to do it.  I don't want to create a marketing email just so I can test something. This is internal only.  Is there a way to send a test of these internal email notifications?  I guess I could create a branch in my workflow that just sends the email when my own record is updated, but that seems lame for something as simple as sending a test email.  🙂

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hey @JGood,

You can use HubSpot's workflow test feature to simulate internal notifications:

karstenkoehler_0-1625718408630.png

Simply click the Test button in the upper right of the workflow editor.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

acritch
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you very much for the reply Phil, I was thinking too much into it I guess.

Follow up question if you don't mind... I have my workflow setup so that it will send an email to a team when the eval request form is filled in, this all works great. I then need to trigger another email, but only AFTER a contact property has been changed to "Completed" which could happen a couple hours to a couple days after the first form is filled out. I used an if/then branch, but when it hits that part of the workflow and the field is not equal to "Completed" then it just goes to the "No" branch and stops. 

How can I setup a workflow so that it will trigger a 2nd email when the contact property is changed? Ideally these steps would all be part of the same workflow.

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender

SOLVE

Hi @acritch 

Apologies for not seeing your follow-up question sooner. I hope you've resolved the issue already but just in case:

The situation you describe where the workflow races down the no branch can only be resolved by inserting a delay before the if/then branch. 

A better solution, in my opinion, would be to create a second workflow based on the condition of the other contact property. I don't see much benefit, other than neatness, for having these two things in the same workflow. 

Hope this helps.

0 Upvotes
SkylerSchmanski
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi!

I'm running into a roadblock with HubSpot notifications. While users (salespeople) can receive in-app and SMS notifications containing specific contact info as new contacts are generated, I do not see an option to receive email notifications with the same specific contact info. This would be a terrific smarketing feature to align the two departments.

Best,

Skyler

0 Upvotes
bobell
Participant

SOLVE

I have this problem also. When I click the link that Phil pasted above (https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/forms/how-do-i-send-internal-notification-emails), it gets redirected to a different page: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/workflows/choose-your-workflow-actions#internal-c.... However, that page is useless to me. Ther workflow "Send Internal Email" dialog that I see is completely different than the one shown in in that screen; rather than letting me enter a subject and body and use a token, it requires me to choose a pre-created email. When I do so, the only tokens available to me are recipient tokens, NOT contact tokens. Help!

Phil_Vallender

SOLVE

Hi @bobell 

You are right, that dialog is out of date I can't even remember a remeber a time when internal notifications didn't require you to create a seperate email. @jennysowyrda maybe you want to loop in the knowlege base team on this?

When you do create an email for an internal notfication, however, the contact tokens do pull in the details for the contact triggering the workflow rather than those of the recipient. 

Hope this helps.

jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @Phil_Vallender,

Thank you for the ping! I have notified the knowledge base team to have them update the documentation!  

Thanks,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
CasperOng
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Thanks Bobell, Phil and Jenny for the feedback. I'm a technical writer on the team! To clarify, the screenshot shown for "Send an internal email" is accurate for all types of workflows, except for the contact-based workflow. The contact-based workflow indeed requires you to use an existing automated email and in our documentation, we covered that very briefly with a small screenshot.

To make this clearer, I've updated the documentation and included more specific instructions and a larger screenshot for the contact-based workflow. Hope this clarifies!