Email Marketing Tool

OlgaKhadieva
Participant

How to add a question about an unsubscribe reason on the unsubscribe (confirmation) page

SOLVE

I would like to ask people who are unsubscribing from our emails about a reason why they decided to opt out. Apparently, there is no an easy way to do this in Hubspot. I tried to create a form with a multiple choice field and added it to the unsubscribe confirmation page but the problem is this form is displayed on both - the subscription preferences update confirmation page and on Unsubscrbe from all confirmation page. In the first case it doesn't make any sense to ask people "why you are leaving" because they are only changing subscription options. However, there is no way to display this form only when "unsubscribe from all" is selected. The confirmation page is the same whether the person unsubscribes from all emails, updates sub preferences or even resubscribes. 

Has anyone faced this problem and is there a workaround solution?

1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

How to add a question about an unsubscribe reason on the unsubscribe (confirmation) page

SOLVE

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Help other HubSpot searchers find this post quickly by accepting this solution today.

Q: How to ask WHY subscribers opt-out of ALL email?

Short A: No built-in HubSpot functionality to achieve this outcome. (at this time)

Longer A:

As you stated @OlgaKhadieva, the confirmation page is the same whether the person unsubscribes from all emails, updates subscription preferences or even resubscribes. 

Any workaround solution (if even possible) would involve code. Due to the way HubSpot subscription preferences are deeply integrated and the fact that HubSpot's GDPR-compliance functionality is still 'new', we cannot recommended making this customization on your own.

Since this has the potential to be a very popular feature, you may wish to add to a new or existing thread in HubSpot Ideas.

You'll typically get much more traction from the HubSpot Community AND the Ideas Forum is where HubSpot Product Teams monitor suggestions for popularity -- i.e., VOTES! 🙂

Please update this thread if you decide to submit this as an 'idea' ... you'll have our vote for sure!

Help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this solution today.

Best,
Frank

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v03.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
15 Replies 15
RWaterfield9
Participant

SOLVE

Hopefully HubSpot will bring in a  feature to do this more easily. Surveys would be good to see why people are unsubscribing, as it helps us to know where we might need to improve with marekting emails.

skalka
Contributor

SOLVE

Our solution involves the confirmation page as well.

We created 2 new properties:

• Unsubscribe reasons (dropdown)
  • Unsubscribe reasons more (text area only visible when 'other' is selected in the previous field)

We added those 2 properties in a form and we embedded the form into the Subscription Update Confirmation Page. Of course we adapted the language to be valid in both cases, as suggested by SRKelly.

This solution allows us to have a ready to use report for the form and if the user has the HubSpot cookie we can associate the answer to a contact. This is useful in case we want to understand if there's any correlation with the country, the subscription types, the number of emails received.

The anonymous submissions are useful too, because you can still work with interesting  data.

Bonus: the good thing of this solution is that you record all the answers without creating new contacts.

Hope this helps.

sarboledap
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @skalka thank you very much for your idea, sounds very good! Do you have any link to check the result of this implementation?

0 Upvotes
sarboledap
Participant

SOLVE

Well, what I have been doing as a work-around is adding the Choice Field to the Backup Unsubscribe module...

Editing moduleEditing module...But when I try to publish this, it seems that some default configuration prevents this change from being displayed, even if on the screen the preview clearly shows it.

Preview data screenPreview data screen

Gsanchez89
Participant

SOLVE

I have the same issue! @sarboledap  please help with this

SRKelly
Participant

SOLVE

0 Upvotes
SRKelly
Participant

SOLVE

I'm looking for this solution too. Hubspot actually suggests this as a best practice in unsubscribe pages in one of their blogs.

https://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/34022/28-quick-tips-for-customizing-your-email-preferen...

I'm disappointed to see that this feature does not exist. I even tried to create a "rich text" smart content module on the confirmation page... but then realized there is no way to create a list of unsubscribers to serve the smart content to. Hope this feature becomes available soon.

MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Help other HubSpot searchers find this post quickly by accepting this solution today.

Q: How to ask WHY subscribers opt-out of ALL email?

Short A: No built-in HubSpot functionality to achieve this outcome. (at this time)

Longer A:

As you stated @OlgaKhadieva, the confirmation page is the same whether the person unsubscribes from all emails, updates subscription preferences or even resubscribes. 

Any workaround solution (if even possible) would involve code. Due to the way HubSpot subscription preferences are deeply integrated and the fact that HubSpot's GDPR-compliance functionality is still 'new', we cannot recommended making this customization on your own.

Since this has the potential to be a very popular feature, you may wish to add to a new or existing thread in HubSpot Ideas.

You'll typically get much more traction from the HubSpot Community AND the Ideas Forum is where HubSpot Product Teams monitor suggestions for popularity -- i.e., VOTES! 🙂

Please update this thread if you decide to submit this as an 'idea' ... you'll have our vote for sure!

Help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this solution today.

Best,
Frank

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v03.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
Svea
Participant

SOLVE

Hi everyone,

We have the same interest in having a newsletter unsubscription method implemented by HubSpot. We would like to get to know the customer's cause to unsubscribe from our newsletter, to identify those leading issues and counteract towards them to keep the customers loyalty. Such a function could as well provide the opportunity to just unsubscribe from some newsletters instead of all of them directly. 

Since this is not a pretty new function, we would really appreciate such an update, maybe by implementing a questionnaire function into a normal landing page. 

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Svea

GaryJLavin
Contributor | Partner
Contributor | Partner

SOLVE

I also think we should have the option to have different unsubscribe options based on personas.

SRKelly
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Svea, 

I was able to create something in Hubspot, but the questionnaire had to be placed on the confirmation page (that shows up for users that have unsubscribed as well as users that simply updated their subscription preferences). I had to word it to meet the needs of both audiences. Here's a screenshot of the bottom of the confirmation page. This may help you.Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 8.52.44 AM.png

dacm1121
Participant

SOLVE

How did you manage to add this?

0 Upvotes
lrosin
Contributor

SOLVE

Dude... this is HubSpot ideas. They added their question/idea. What is your canned response doing to help? Nothing. Shush, Frank...

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

#nlmtu

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
OlgaKhadieva
Participant

SOLVE