Email Marketing Tool

TheRealMikeD
Participant

How to Create an Autoresponder From no-reply in WordPress Plugin

SOLVE

Hi,

I'm a web developer working for a company that uses Hubspot.  They want me to integrate Hubspot contact forms into their WordPress website.  Creating the forms is no problem.  Where I am getting stuck is creating an autoresponder email that comes from a no-reply@ address. 

When creating a "Follow-Up" email for a contact form, the only choices for "From" address are a dropdown full of registered users on the company's Hubspot account.  They want these autoresponders to confirm that the user successfully submitted their contact info, but they don't want them to come from any particular user.  I suspect the motivation behind this is that they want to be able to weed out SPAM submissions without the SPAMmers getting the address of a legitimate user back in the autoresponse.

Furthermore, they have asked if each different type of contact form could come from a different no response email address.  So, one might come from no-reply@, another might come from contact@, partner-inquiry@, etc.

Does anyone know how to make this happen?  The plugin seems to have a lot of features, but the absence of the ability to pick any "from" address you choose seems like a significant shortcoming to me.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

I think you are referring to the Follow Up feature of Forms.  While this is an auto-responder of sorts, it is not intended to be a no-reply as this feature is tied more to the Sales side of Hubspot as opposed to the Marketing side.  Going this route, you would unfortunately need to verify and setup that no-reply address so that you can send an email from it with this feature.  We did this once by creating aliases to the no-replies so that they could be verified.

Alternatively, you have a few other options.  Depending on your client's plan you could setup a workflow for form submitters and send them an automated email from that address.  Or your client could purchase the transactional email addon.  Last time I checked it was about $800-1k USD/mo addon for an account to send transactional emails outside of GDPR/spam laws which opens up that option for you.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

I think you are referring to the Follow Up feature of Forms.  While this is an auto-responder of sorts, it is not intended to be a no-reply as this feature is tied more to the Sales side of Hubspot as opposed to the Marketing side.  Going this route, you would unfortunately need to verify and setup that no-reply address so that you can send an email from it with this feature.  We did this once by creating aliases to the no-replies so that they could be verified.

Alternatively, you have a few other options.  Depending on your client's plan you could setup a workflow for form submitters and send them an automated email from that address.  Or your client could purchase the transactional email addon.  Last time I checked it was about $800-1k USD/mo addon for an account to send transactional emails outside of GDPR/spam laws which opens up that option for you.

TheRealMikeD
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks, @Ben_M!

I was thinking along the lines of your first suggestion (aliasing and verifying a no-reply address).  It sounds like a time-consuming hassle since I will have to ask someone else in the organization to set up the email address and then verify it, but I suppose that's a one-time thing, and once it's set up, it should be reasonably easy to use.

If they want to use a variety of no-reply types of "from" addresses, they would presumably have to set them each up in a similar manner.

I'm not sure I entirely follow your idea about setting up a workflow.  Quite probably, this is because of my limited knowledge of how Hubspot works.  I am guessing that what you are describing means designating a particular existing user to receive the submissions from contact forms, and maybe you are suggesting that the follow up/autorespoder email comes from that user.  Is that about right?

I don't think they will go for the transactional email add-on.  There are much cheaper options to just send transactional emails and ensure deliverability (like Mailgun, etc.).  The primary advantage of using the Hubspot plugin is that the contact info goes straight into the Hubspot database.  But with such a steep price difference, they would more likely be inclined to use a cheaper transactional mailer and just do some sort of export to Hubspot.

0 Upvotes
Ben_M
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Personally I think the verification of aliases would be my recommendation to a client based on what you are saying.

With regards to the workflow it goes to my comment about sales processes vs. marketing processes in Hubspot.  Because the "follow-up" option is considered sales, it's like sending from a rep personally which is why there is extra verification.  With Marketing emails, they are sent via the Workflow tool in Hubspot.  There you can set entrance criteria (ie: submitted specific form, or form on specific page, etc.).  The next step would be your follow up email from the no-reply since the same verification is not needed on a marketing email that it is on a sales email.

I agree with you 100% on the transactional email cost.  Some clients prefer everything in a single tool, even if it costs more.  And I bring it up because I had a client once ask me why no one was receiving emails for thank yous and with GDPR enabled, only subscribed contacts would receive the emails that followed the submission so without that option, or an integration with a 3rd party, they were left with emailings not being sent.  They opted for everything together in one tool.

TheRealMikeD
Participant

SOLVE

This is some great insight, @Ben_M.  I think we have at least one way, if not two ways, forward.

I appreciate the help!

0 Upvotes