Email Marketing Tool

alexbit
Teilnehmer/-in

How can I send an email to 500 contacts in 5 batches of 100?

lösung

I cannot find a smart way to manage my recipients for a specific email. If I have already sent the email to 100 of my total 500 contacts, how can I exclude the first 100 in my second batch of sending the email? I wish there was a tool that I could multi-select contacts and also an indicator/sorting that tells me which of my contacts have received this email before.

Thanks for your help.

Alex

3 Akzeptierte Lösungen
danaland
Lösung
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

lösung

Hi @Al!

If it is an active list, you will neeed to use properties and you cannot move the contacts around in any other way. If it's a static list, you can manually add and remove contacts. Here is a KB that explains how to do that with static lists: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/lists/add-or-remove-contacts-from-a-list#add-or-remove-contacts-from-a...

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

karstenkoehler
Lösung
Berühmtheit | Partner
Berühmtheit | Partner

lösung

Hi @alexbit,

If you wanted a random split of your contacts, you could also create a custom contact property called Random number, export your contacts, use Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets, shuffle the rows using RAND() and then – after they're shuffled – number the contacts from 1 to 500 .

After re-importing this list (you don't need all columns, Email or Contact ID and Random number are sufficient), you can create lists by filtering for Randon number is between 1 and 100, 101 and 200 etc.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

karstenkoehler
Lösung
Berühmtheit | Partner
Berühmtheit | Partner

lösung

Hi @alexbit,

There's an update on this. It's still a bit of a workaround but doesn't require exporting anymore. Using the new Random Sample feature, you can create a first list with a random sample of 100. You could then create a second list of contacts which are in your original list but not the first random sample, ending up with 400 contacts – from which you can take another 100 contacts randomly. If I counted correctly, that makes a total of 7 lists. Still not perfect but if you hate export/imports, it would be an option. Product announcement below.

karstenkoehler_0-1678340527827.png

[Automated Rollout] Create a Random Sample from any List

Mar 7, 2023

What is it?

Easily create a new static list with a select number of randomized members from an existing list.

Why does it matter?

Experimenting with a smaller portion of your target audience across tools like e-mail, CTA's, and landing pages can lead to more effective personalized experiences for your customers. Previously though, there was no easy way to obtain these random batches of contacts or companies from an existing HubSpot list. With Random Sample, you can now select a percentage or count of randomized members that will join a new static list.

How does it work?

Inside any list, click "Actions" > "Random Sample".

Type in your desired count OR % of randomized members that you would like to join a new static list. The value that is not filled in, will auto-populate so you are aware of both the count and percentage breakdown.

Click "Create List". You will then be able to click on your new list that's being processed. Note that if your parent list was already in a folder, the random sample list will be automatically created in that folder as well.

Additionally, you will be able to track the source list for a random sample as well as all the samples it has created by going to the List and clicking on Details. It's important to note that this will not prevent a list from being deleted like other references.

Who gets it?

Marketing Enterprise, Marketing Pro

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

9 Antworten
karstenkoehler
Lösung
Berühmtheit | Partner
Berühmtheit | Partner

lösung

Hi @alexbit,

There's an update on this. It's still a bit of a workaround but doesn't require exporting anymore. Using the new Random Sample feature, you can create a first list with a random sample of 100. You could then create a second list of contacts which are in your original list but not the first random sample, ending up with 400 contacts – from which you can take another 100 contacts randomly. If I counted correctly, that makes a total of 7 lists. Still not perfect but if you hate export/imports, it would be an option. Product announcement below.

karstenkoehler_0-1678340527827.png

[Automated Rollout] Create a Random Sample from any List

Mar 7, 2023

What is it?

Easily create a new static list with a select number of randomized members from an existing list.

Why does it matter?

Experimenting with a smaller portion of your target audience across tools like e-mail, CTA's, and landing pages can lead to more effective personalized experiences for your customers. Previously though, there was no easy way to obtain these random batches of contacts or companies from an existing HubSpot list. With Random Sample, you can now select a percentage or count of randomized members that will join a new static list.

How does it work?

Inside any list, click "Actions" > "Random Sample".

Type in your desired count OR % of randomized members that you would like to join a new static list. The value that is not filled in, will auto-populate so you are aware of both the count and percentage breakdown.

Click "Create List". You will then be able to click on your new list that's being processed. Note that if your parent list was already in a folder, the random sample list will be automatically created in that folder as well.

Additionally, you will be able to track the source list for a random sample as well as all the samples it has created by going to the List and clicking on Details. It's important to note that this will not prevent a list from being deleted like other references.

Who gets it?

Marketing Enterprise, Marketing Pro

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

karstenkoehler
Lösung
Berühmtheit | Partner
Berühmtheit | Partner

lösung

Hi @alexbit,

If you wanted a random split of your contacts, you could also create a custom contact property called Random number, export your contacts, use Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets, shuffle the rows using RAND() and then – after they're shuffled – number the contacts from 1 to 500 .

After re-importing this list (you don't need all columns, Email or Contact ID and Random number are sufficient), you can create lists by filtering for Randon number is between 1 and 100, 101 and 200 etc.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

alexbit
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

awesome! this is a great workaround. and I hope that HS build that much-needed feature request soon. thank you danaland!

0 Upvotes
alexbit
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

got it. one last follow: how can I grab 100  contacts from a list and put it in another list? Looking at the List of available logics, it seems that I have to use a specific attribute from my contacts to create a list.

0 Upvotes
danaland
Lösung
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

lösung

Hi @Al!

If it is an active list, you will neeed to use properties and you cannot move the contacts around in any other way. If it's a static list, you can manually add and remove contacts. Here is a KB that explains how to do that with static lists: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/lists/add-or-remove-contacts-from-a-list#add-or-remove-contacts-from-a...

danaland
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

lösung

Hi @alexbit!

As that ideas post mentions, we do not currently have a feature available that will split your list for you. You could need to create 5 different lists and then you can do 5 sends to those 5 different lists.

When sending an email, you can choose to grab the contacts 1 by 1 or by which list they are on. The list method is faster. 

0 Upvotes
alexbit
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

i think what im looking for is a random split of my contacts in 5 different batches so I can try different things with each batch and learn from them. see this:

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Random-Split-List/idi-p/321147

0 Upvotes
danaland
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

lösung

Hi @alexbit

You could use active lists for this. You can make an active list that says "Has not received [name of marketing email]" and it'll pull in any contacts who haven't received that email and add them to the "to" section.
Alternatively, you can make an active list with the criteria of "has received [name of marketing email]" and add them to the exclude section. 
You could also do both!

Here is a GIF of me making one of those lists.
list.gif

0 Upvotes
alexbit
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

@danaland , thank you. this resolved half of my problem/question. (creating a list of folks who have received the email so I don't send them the email again).
but I still have issues selecting lots of contacts to send an email to.
How can I easily distributed my 500 contacts into 100 batches and use them in the recipient field? 

thank you!

0 Upvotes