How can I send an email to 500 contacts in 5 batches of 100?

SOLVE
alexbit
Participant

I cannot find a smart way to manage my recipients for a specific email. If I have already sent the email to 100 of my total 500 contacts, how can I exclude the first 100 in my second batch of sending the email? I wish there was a tool that I could multi-select contacts and also an indicator/sorting that tells me which of my contacts have received this email before.

Thanks for your help.

Alex

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions
danaland
Solution
HubSpot Employee

Hi @Al!

If it is an active list, you will neeed to use properties and you cannot move the contacts around in any other way. If it's a static list, you can manually add and remove contacts. Here is a KB that explains how to do that with static lists: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/lists/add-or-remove-contacts-from-a-list#add-or-remove-contacts-from-a...

View solution in original post

karstenkoehler
Solution
Most Valuable Member

Hi @alexbit,

If you wanted a random split of your contacts, you could also create a custom contact property called Random number, export your contacts, use Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets, shuffle the rows using RAND() and then – after they're shuffled – number the contacts from 1 to 500 .

After re-importing this list (you don't need all columns, Email or Contact ID and Random number are sufficient), you can create lists by filtering for Randon number is between 1 and 100, 101 and 200 etc.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
Freelance Digital Marketing Advisor

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

8 Replies 8
danaland
HubSpot Employee

Hi @alexbit

You could use active lists for this. You can make an active list that says "Has not received [name of marketing email]" and it'll pull in any contacts who haven't received that email and add them to the "to" section.
Alternatively, you can make an active list with the criteria of "has received [name of marketing email]" and add them to the exclude section. 
You could also do both!

Here is a GIF of me making one of those lists.
list.gif

0 Upvotes
alexbit
Participant

@danaland , thank you. this resolved half of my problem/question. (creating a list of folks who have received the email so I don't send them the email again).
but I still have issues selecting lots of contacts to send an email to.
How can I easily distributed my 500 contacts into 100 batches and use them in the recipient field? 

thank you!

0 Upvotes
alexbit
Participant

i think what im looking for is a random split of my contacts in 5 different batches so I can try different things with each batch and learn from them. see this:

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Random-Split-List/idi-p/321147

0 Upvotes
danaland
HubSpot Employee

Hi @alexbit!

As that ideas post mentions, we do not currently have a feature available that will split your list for you. You could need to create 5 different lists and then you can do 5 sends to those 5 different lists.

When sending an email, you can choose to grab the contacts 1 by 1 or by which list they are on. The list method is faster. 

0 Upvotes
alexbit
Participant

got it. one last follow: how can I grab 100  contacts from a list and put it in another list? Looking at the List of available logics, it seems that I have to use a specific attribute from my contacts to create a list.

0 Upvotes
danaland
Solution
HubSpot Employee

Hi @Al!

If it is an active list, you will neeed to use properties and you cannot move the contacts around in any other way. If it's a static list, you can manually add and remove contacts. Here is a KB that explains how to do that with static lists: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/lists/add-or-remove-contacts-from-a-list#add-or-remove-contacts-from-a...

alexbit
Participant

awesome! this is a great workaround. and I hope that HS build that much-needed feature request soon. thank you danaland!

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Most Valuable Member

Hi @alexbit,

If you wanted a random split of your contacts, you could also create a custom contact property called Random number, export your contacts, use Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets, shuffle the rows using RAND() and then – after they're shuffled – number the contacts from 1 to 500 .

After re-importing this list (you don't need all columns, Email or Contact ID and Random number are sufficient), you can create lists by filtering for Randon number is between 1 and 100, 101 and 200 etc.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
Freelance Digital Marketing Advisor

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.