Email Marketing Tool

Mihkel

HTML comments in drag and drop emails cause email clipping in gmail

SOLVE

Hey communiters,

I'm struggling with the email clipping in gmail. Yes, I've read other posts about it.
What I've found looking into the actual HTML generated from the drag-and-drop composer. I keep seing these ~200 row long html comments. Sometimes 5 or 6 of them, which extend the content/weight of emails alot and causes clipping in gmail.

Is this a bug? Is there something I can do while composing the email to prevent it?

Cheers,
Mihkel

html comments in email.jpg

1 Accepted solution
Mihkel
Solution

SOLVE

Classical rubber-duck situation here 😄

I found the underlying issue.

In short, when copying text from Figma (the design tool) and pasting it to HubSpot's WYSIWYG (email or blog post composer) there's big shuck of hidden html comment added to it, which is probaly needed when you copy-paste within Figma.

To detect if this is causing you emails to be clipped

1. Download message in gmail and open it up in HTML supporting text editor (Sublime Text e.g)
  2. Or use the "view source code" feature on all rich text sections one by one.

Workarounds:

1. Use paste text only shortcut. shift+ctrl/cmd+V
  2. Use "view source code" feature in WYSIWYG (the button is in different places for blog and email composers, but both have it) and clean it up manually

You can read more about it here: https://spectrum.chat/figma/general/garbage-metadata-added-to-images-exported-from-figma-update-its-...

I hope this is useful for someone else too 🙂

Cheers

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
Mihkel
Solution

SOLVE

Classical rubber-duck situation here 😄

I found the underlying issue.

In short, when copying text from Figma (the design tool) and pasting it to HubSpot's WYSIWYG (email or blog post composer) there's big shuck of hidden html comment added to it, which is probaly needed when you copy-paste within Figma.

To detect if this is causing you emails to be clipped

1. Download message in gmail and open it up in HTML supporting text editor (Sublime Text e.g)
  2. Or use the "view source code" feature on all rich text sections one by one.

Workarounds:

1. Use paste text only shortcut. shift+ctrl/cmd+V
  2. Use "view source code" feature in WYSIWYG (the button is in different places for blog and email composers, but both have it) and clean it up manually

You can read more about it here: https://spectrum.chat/figma/general/garbage-metadata-added-to-images-exported-from-figma-update-its-...

I hope this is useful for someone else too 🙂

Cheers

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @Mihkel,

Thank you for sharing!

Best,

Jenny