Email Marketing Tool

miker

Graymail and Open Rate Tracking

SOLVE

I stumbled upon the graymail feature in Hubspot, which looks very interesting. I did wonder how Hubspot takes into account that open rate can be hard to track, given that users may often have image viewing disabled and so open rate can't be tracked for them.

1 Accepted solution
jennysowyrda
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @miker,

Graymail is a feature that is meant to improve your email sending quality and score. It is based off two contact properties within HubSpot, and tracks how frequently contacts are interacting with the content you are sending them. Graymail is not a new way of sending emails, it is a new way to segment your recipient list based on engagement. Graymail works in the same way that all HubSpot email tracking works based on the 1x1 pixel that is in the email that enables HubSpot to see if contacts are opening emails. The low engagement list that HubSpot creates is based on the contact property “sends since last engagement” which will track how many marketing emails have been sent to a contact since they last engaged with an email and the contact property “emails opened”. This feature is meant to improve your email engagement with contacts, however the function is optional, and if you find that the majority of your contacts do not have images enabled, graymail can also be turned off to allow you to send emails to all contacts.

For more information on email deliverability, I would recommend looking at this thread: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Email/DIY-Deliverability/m-p/13998

For more information on graymail, I would recommend reading this article from HubSpot’s knowledge base: What is graymail and how can I avoid sending email to contacts with low engagement rates.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
jennysowyrda
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @miker,

Graymail is a feature that is meant to improve your email sending quality and score. It is based off two contact properties within HubSpot, and tracks how frequently contacts are interacting with the content you are sending them. Graymail is not a new way of sending emails, it is a new way to segment your recipient list based on engagement. Graymail works in the same way that all HubSpot email tracking works based on the 1x1 pixel that is in the email that enables HubSpot to see if contacts are opening emails. The low engagement list that HubSpot creates is based on the contact property “sends since last engagement” which will track how many marketing emails have been sent to a contact since they last engaged with an email and the contact property “emails opened”. This feature is meant to improve your email engagement with contacts, however the function is optional, and if you find that the majority of your contacts do not have images enabled, graymail can also be turned off to allow you to send emails to all contacts.

For more information on email deliverability, I would recommend looking at this thread: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Email/DIY-Deliverability/m-p/13998

For more information on graymail, I would recommend reading this article from HubSpot’s knowledge base: What is graymail and how can I avoid sending email to contacts with low engagement rates.

0 Upvotes
paxton
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

realized my post link was broken please use this link instead:

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Email-Marketing/How-to-bring-up-a-low-open-rate/td-p/187027

Thanks!

0 Upvotes