German Salutation Formula not supported in Hubspot Emails

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hello everyone,

my issue is related to the German salutation formula in Hubspot emails. In Germany the formal salutation in an email differs depending on the gender of the receiver (Mr./Mrs), his title (Dr./Prof./Mag.) and whether his "last name + salutation" is known or not.

The only possibility I found to support all the cases mentioned above was to use smart content and create 4 smart versions of every email. But e.g. in the case of custom modules, smart contents are not supported. This leaves no possibility for me to call people by their name in a professional way, which should be a standard in email communication nowadays.

The setup of the English salutation works out well, but does Hubspot have any solutions for German/European customers regarding their email communication?

I would be happy to get some advice.

Anabel

6 Replies 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Anabel. I'm not sure if this would work for you but could you possibly create a custom contact property that has the proper salutation that would work in all languages, and then you could chose to use that custom contact property for a personalization token in your email as opposed to the default salutation? 

Occasional Contributor

Hi @mwhite051,

thank you very much for your reply Smiley Happy. That is actually something we tried as well. We created a Greeting-field, which gets filled out with the correct Greeting depending on the Salutation (Mr./Mrs./unknown).

The problem we were experiencing was the following: we have to make a space between every personalization token in an email. Even if the token is unkown, the space will still stay. So the default version would leave many spaces between the Greeting and the comma and looks like:

"Guten Tag   ,"

We then wanted to add the space within the token itself, but we could not, because they're dropdown fields.

Using smart content was the only possibility I found to solve those issues, but to create four smart versions for every e-mail just to get the salutation right is very complicated and custom modules don´t allow smart content at all. 

I was therefore wondering if anyone has another idea or the same issue.

Thanks again for your help on this.

Anabel

Visitor

I don't have a solution, but we are experiencing the same problem. 

Occasional Contributor

Hi Anabel,

we had the same issue. Here´s how we solved it, maybe this works for you as well:

1. create a new contact property "Briefanrede", a dropdown with the 2 options "Sehr geehrter" and "Sehr geehrte"

2. create a new Workflow

3. The Enrollment Criteria is "Salutation" = known
  4. create a "if-then"-branch
    1. if Salutation is "Herr", than add the contact property Briefanrede = "Sehr geehrter"
    2. if Salutation is "Frau", than add the contact property Briefanrede = "Sehr geehrte"
  5. In your Mails you use the personalisation tokens as usual:
    1. "Briefanrede" + "Salutation" + "First Name" + "Last Name"
  6. The standard fallback for the "Briefanrede" token should be "Sehr geehrte(r)" - thus you still have a proper form of adress in case you don´t know the salutation.

I hope this helps you.

--- English ---

Thanks for the great workaround! However, seeing that this is from a year ago, does anyone know whether this feature has been added to HubSpot in the meantime?

This would be a great feature to add, especially for more formal, first contact emails.

--- Deutsch ---

Danke für den Lösungsvorschlag! Allerdings ist seither schon ein Jahr vergangen. Deshalb wollte ich nachfragen ob es dieses Feature, oder eine einfachere Lösung inzwischen in HubSpot integriert wurde.

Die formelle Anrede ist in vielen Situation, vor allem beim Erstkontakt, immer noch wichtig.

Thanks / Danke,

Micah

Occasional Contributor

Hi Micah,

I am still using my old workaround Smiley Sad. I am not aware of any new features.

I still believe that the smart content solution is the best we have for the moment. All other solutions mentioned above leave you with two issues:

1.) Spaces between tokens stay even if salutation, title or last name is unknown, which looks odd from my point of view.

2.) A proper German salutation formula always consists of at least two fields (salutation and last name). So you will want to make sure to not write "Sehr geehrte/r  Müller" (in case the last name is known, but the salutation is not).

I think those issue can only be solved with lists and smart content.

Best wishes,

Anabel

0 Upvotes