Email Marketing Tool

Generate manage preferences link

Given that Hubspot doesn't allow resubscribing contacts to marketing emails via the API, is there a way to generate a link to the manage preferences page for that contact?

As you can imagine, going to your notification settings in an app, only to be told to go and dig up an email and click on the microscopic "manage preferences" in the footer... is not a good UX.

Alternatively, is there a way to send the resubscription email via the Hubspot API?

8 Replies 8
DGarg
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

Hi @AvatarK,

You can follow  HubSpot Knowlegde base for more information. I have attached the screenshot for reference. 

Click here for the Knowledge base (CLICK HERE

DGarg_0-1702287235771.png

Hope this will helps you out. Please mark it as Solution Accepted & Upvote to help other Community member.
Thanks!

Deepak Garg 
Sr. Manager MarTech, ABM Research & CRM | HubSpot Certified Trainer  (Growth Natives)
deepak.garg@growthnatives.com
Book my Calendar

Thanks @DGarg. I was looking for a way to let users view and manage their notification preferences, but this approach only lets them sign up for marketing emails rather than managing their subscriptions.

DGarg

Hi @AvatarK 

I would like to inform you that when this resubscription buttom is ON in HubSpot, and if unsubscribe contact fill out the form than resubscription email will be send out to that contact with requesting to manage their subscription. You refer to the screen shot attached. 

DGarg_0-1702293833605.png

Hope this will helps you out. Please mark it as Solution Accepted & Upvote to help other Community member.
Thanks!

Deepak Garg 
Sr. Manager MarTech, ABM Research & CRM | HubSpot Certified Trainer  (Growth Natives)
Book my Calendar

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain. If I understand correctly, it's like a newsletter subscription form where a user can type their email to subscribe. If they have previously unsubscribed, then upon submitting, they would get instructions to resubscribe. It is indeed useful for users who only want to resubscribe.

However, what I'm trying to accomplish is to have a way for registered users on my website to manage their subscriptions. They should not have to re-enter their emails. And they should be able to view their subscription status even if they don't want to resubscribe.

I initially wanted to create a page where the user would see toggles indicating their subscription status for various kinds of communications (just like the manage preferences page). But Hubspot does not allow resubscription in the API. So I figured I could just link the customer to the hubspot manage preferences page instead. There, they would be able to view their current status, and subscribe/unsubscribe if they want to.

0 Upvotes
DGarg

Hi @AvatarK ,
We can change the subscription on the user through API. You can follow the screenshot for the refrence and am attaching the link (CLICK HERE) for more details. 

DGarg_0-1702306360092.png

Hope this will helps you out. Please mark it as Solution Accepted & Upvote to help other Community member.

Thanks!

Deepak Garg 
Book my Calendar

I tried that approach at first, but the limitation with that is that it does not allow resubscribing. And it's not easy to combine the 2 approaches into a single UX flow.

If the user is subscribed, I can offer them a toggle to unsubscribe, and it works via the API. But if the user is unsubscribed, then it seems the only choice is to embed a newsletter form in the user's notification preferences page. In terms of UX, that's really horrible.

If hubspot doesn't trust that we'll use the resubscription API responsibly, and there is no way to link the user to their manage preferences page, then I'm really curious how existing websites using hubspot get around this. It seems like a key functionality that most websites would have encountered.

Luckily, my team hasn't committed to using hubspot yet, so we'll probably just explore other CRMs. I really appreciate the help though.

0 Upvotes
FTrands

Given HubSpot's limitation on resubscribing contacts to marketing emails via the API, you can enhance user experience by generating a link to the manage preferences page for the contact. This allows users to easily access and update their preferences without the need for intricate steps. Unfortunately, directly sending the resubscription email through the HubSpot API is not supported. For more details and guidance on implementing these solutions, you can visit this link.

0 Upvotes

Could you provide some additional info on how to generate the link for the contact to manage their preferences, please? I cannot find any documentation on it.

0 Upvotes