Email Marketing Tool

thomasgoirand
Colaborador(a)

Forbidden use of threading in marketing emails "Re:". Why?

resolver

Hello folks,

I was wondering why is that not possible to use "re:" at the beginning of a subject in an marketing  email? It is not forbidden so far, and could be used to find all the nurturing emails I would send to my contacts in the same thread as most email clients will work this way.

Capture d’écran 2020-05-14 à 15.35.13.png

Best,

0 Avaliação positiva
1 Solução aceita
mike-ward
Solução
Conselheiro(a) de destaque

resolver

Hi @thomasgoirand ,

It's purely there as a protection mechanism, firstly for us (as the accounts sending) and secondly for HubSpot (as the system sending).

Broadly, starting an email "Re:" is considered potentially misleading, even if in your circumstance that's not the intention. Inbox providers are wise to such things nowadays anyway, so even if HubSpot did allow it, you're increasingly likely to see poor deliverability as emails get routed to spam . It could even be considered a breach of CAN-SPAM or other similar rules around the world -- and users are significantly more likely to report such messages as spam, again hurting sender reputation.

HubSpot wants to help you maintain your domain sender reputation, so you don't have deliverability issues and also maintain their shared IPs reputation for processing everyone's emails.

There's a really detailed article about Misleading Subject Lines on the Litmus blog. Worth a read.

In summary, even if HubSpot did allow it, it would not be good practice. Even if you're trying to use it to be helpful in this instance.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Mike

---

Did I answer your question? If your question is answered, please mark it as a solution. If you need more help, hit that big orange 'Reply' button!

Exibir solução no post original

0 Avaliação positiva
4 Respostas 4
mike-ward
Solução

resolver

Hi @thomasgoirand ,

It's purely there as a protection mechanism, firstly for us (as the accounts sending) and secondly for HubSpot (as the system sending).

Broadly, starting an email "Re:" is considered potentially misleading, even if in your circumstance that's not the intention. Inbox providers are wise to such things nowadays anyway, so even if HubSpot did allow it, you're increasingly likely to see poor deliverability as emails get routed to spam . It could even be considered a breach of CAN-SPAM or other similar rules around the world -- and users are significantly more likely to report such messages as spam, again hurting sender reputation.

HubSpot wants to help you maintain your domain sender reputation, so you don't have deliverability issues and also maintain their shared IPs reputation for processing everyone's emails.

There's a really detailed article about Misleading Subject Lines on the Litmus blog. Worth a read.

In summary, even if HubSpot did allow it, it would not be good practice. Even if you're trying to use it to be helpful in this instance.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Mike

---

Did I answer your question? If your question is answered, please mark it as a solution. If you need more help, hit that big orange 'Reply' button!

0 Avaliação positiva
thomasgoirand
Colaborador(a)

resolver

I thought it was for this reason, but I really hoped hubspot was not doing this kind of tricky limitation. It is a limitation based on the fact users will have a non-legitimate use of the threading. This solution works fine with Marketo, ActiveCampaign.. even Mailchimp and their email reputation is far better than hubspot's.

Back to my case, I am sending an email series with the previous email embbed, the threading is completely legitimate since the history helps to understand each email. So I would say, it is the opposite, the contact receive the whole conversation and would understanding the whole story better, hence lower unsub rate and SPAM report.

I disagree with your point here.

mike-ward

resolver

Hi Thomas,

In your use case it makes sense, but I still wouldn't personally do it.

In my mind, the use of re: generally indicates that a two-way conversation is underway - either I emailed you and you replied, or you emailed me and I replied (and you subsequently reply again). Not exclusively, but I think in the majority of cases and that's how it's perceived by users. Especially so when I'm receiving an individual email solely to me and with my name as the addressee (and not, say, as part of an email thread where I may be in CC).

To me, using re: implies I already contributed to this thread, when in fact, with a marketing email I almost certainly have not done. You can thread emails on a 1-on-1 basis with Sequences in the Sales module, which I think makes sense for 1-on-1 communication, but significantly less so for outbound marketing communications. It has the potential to be more misleading than helpful and therefore increase spam reports.

I definitely see where you're coming from though, and as you said you can do it in other ESPs. I think we can agree to disagree on this one 🙂

One thing you could do would be to submit an idea on the Ideas board to allow threading in Marketing email  and post a link to it here, then people who find this thread can follow through to vote.

Thanks,

Mike

---

0 Avaliação positiva
thomasgoirand
Colaborador(a)

resolver

Bottom line: Same opinion, but afaik one cannot trigger a 1to1 sequence automatically. It has been asked a long time ago, still no update: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Use-workflow-to-trigger-a-sequence/idi-p/20615