False Positive Clicks and Opens in Performance Metrics

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

When looking at how an email has performed, I've noticed that some of the clicks and opens are likely false positives because the email is sent, delivered, opened, and clicked multiple times, all at the same time. There have even been occasions where it says a contact both clicked an email AND hard bounced.

I spoke to support and the explanation was that this is likely done by a bot on the recipient's email server that first inspects the email, then routes it to the recipient. If the recipient doesn't exist, then that's a click and a bounce.

Since our business is B2B, a number of our target accounts seem to have servers with bots like this, meaning that the engagement information from every contact belonging to certain accounts is likely unreliable and I have to look at each contact who supposedly clicked to see if there was some space between when the email was delivered, opened, and clicked. There was at least one occasion where I thought an email got a lot of interest from a particular account, only to discover that all that engagement was likely just a bot.

Does HubSpot have any plans to filter out obvious false positives like this?

Our email performance metrics are less meaningful because of them. This is a serious problem because 1. we can't properly assess which emails do well for optimization purposes 2. I can't give an honest answer to what our actual open and click rates are and 3. we can't rely on email engagement for lead scoring.

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @DanFromCF,

I wanted to share this thread with you where the product team is discussing concerns like this with customers. If you have concerns or questions, I would encourage you to share them there.

Thank you,
Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jenny,

Thanks, I'll check it out.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

Has this been resolved? We are coming across the same issue, and our numbers are skewed. People who want nothing to do with us are shown clicking an email 15 times in the first 10 min of opening the email. 

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

@sftaraskeiwicz Not completely, but they're aware of it and working on it.

Jenny linked to another thread with more info.

0 Upvotes