Email open and click false positives for same recipient domain

New Contributor

Hi,

I'm running a triggered nurture campaign, and we're showing false positives for clicks and opens from recipients with the same domain. 

Following each send, it shows the recipients are opening the email and clicking every link within the body of the email simultaneously. Has anyone else seen this happen? Any idea what could cause it?

7 Replies 7
Community Manager

Hey @kbiniasz could you please share screenshots of the report?

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Hi @roisinkirby

As mentioned by the other user in this thread, it looks like this issue isn't secluded to a single contact email domain. We continue to see the problem happening across our nurture campaigns. Attached image shows the email open and a click on each link in the email happening simultaneously.False positive clicks.PNG

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

We have this same issue. It's impacting our lead scoring as well since an open/click is set to give a contact a higher lead score but it's obvious when we look at the contact record that the person did not open/click on the email. I'd be very surprised if someone opened one of our emails and clicked on every single link at the exact same time. Other than manually identifying these contacts and adding them to a static list, I haven't figured out a way to counteract the false positives. 

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor
Having the same issues. Has anyone figured out what is going on or what the solution is? I had a thought that maybe it's coming from the organizations domain as a way to scramble our analytics as a data privacy preventative measure. If they make it look like everyone is opening and clicking then we don't know who to follow up with.
0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor | Platinum Partner

This is caused by corporate spam systems and unfortunately, there is no workaround.  Essentially the spam system first checks every (or a majority) of the links in your email by clicking on them to ensure they are not malicious links prior to delivering them to your recipient's inbox.  Baracuda (one of the most popular spam systems) is notorious for this.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you Mike. When I reached out to HubSpot support they initially told me to turn on Bot Filtering in my Advanced Tracking for reports, but it did not help as I'm still seeing them come through. However, now HubSpot is reiterating what you are explaining as well. They are trying to see if they can filter out these false opens and clicks from coming into my report, but I'm wondering if any of these contacts do actually open or click afterwards, if the filter will then prevent that from showing. Not sure how all this would work on the backend, so 🤷.

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor | Platinum Partner

Yeah, unfortunately, it's quite complex.  If you have a list of suspicious companies / contacts that have bots / spam systems creating the noise, then you can at least dive deeper into the person's activity from those companies.  The false open / click signal typically happens within a minute or two of sending.  Further activity would be a human.  For example, an open / click is fired by the spam system 1 minute after the email is delivered.  30 minutes later another open / click is fired which would be the human.  Wish I had a better workaround for you.

0 Upvotes