Email Marketing Tool

lverhagen
Participant

Email URL redirect after adding wrong URL in email

SOLVE

Hi there,

We always do a lot of checks before sending out newsletters, but somehow it happened that for one button the url wasn't updated to the correct new url: oops! I thought I was being smart by making a redirect for the specific url that is generated for the email link, with all it's query strings, to the correct page. This way I would make sure that only when te person comes from this email, it's redirected to the other page they were supposed to go to and people that just go to this page won't be redirected.

However, the query strings HubSpot makes to these links in emails are super long, and I can't put all of it to redirect because there is a maximum of 250 characters. That's a bummer.

So I tried putting only some of the most important query strings to the url that needed to be redirected and unticked the 'match query strings' box. I thought then he will only check on what I filled in the field exactly what needs to be redirected (and yes, that did still contain a few querystrings), but the box keeps being ticket since it recognizes it has queries. And since it doesn't contain all the queries, it also didn't work.

Is there anyone who knows another good solution for this? I don't want to send out a rectification to the email, but I also don't want people to get lost to the wrong page.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

I would setup a redirect on the server side to catch the bad URLs from the email and redirect them to the proper URL.  What you do depends on your server/setup/etc.  For instance on a *nix server you would use an htaccess redirect, or web.config on an IIS server.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
1 Reply 1
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

I would setup a redirect on the server side to catch the bad URLs from the email and redirect them to the proper URL.  What you do depends on your server/setup/etc.  For instance on a *nix server you would use an htaccess redirect, or web.config on an IIS server.

0 Upvotes