Email Marketing Tool

SKubrick
Participant

Email Health Tool

SOLVE

I just started using the email health tool, which I understand is in beta mode so I'm not sure how many users have that feature yet. I love the tool and it's already made a huge improvement in my email marketing strategies. However, I've noticed the date ranges don't update very frequently and the percentages are different from what I'm calculating manually. Is there any way to update the date range or select a specific date range to view? And is there more data that goes into calculating the open and click rate overall percentages than meets the eye? My percentages are off if it's just a black and white average of open and click rates, and I'd love some more insight if anyone has it! Thank you so much!!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Email Health Tool

SOLVE

Sure, happy to help, @SKubrick! I've added a short example to my previous post.

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
danaland
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Email Health Tool

SOLVE

Thank you for jumping in here @karstenkoehler! Awesome answer.

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Email Health Tool

SOLVE

Hi @SKubrick,

There is indeed a mistake in your calculation. Each open rate has a different "weight" because of different list sizes. By calculating the average, you're not taking this "weight" into account. An easy fix is looking at the sum of all opens and divide that by the sum of all emails delivered, see the example below.

Taking the average of the third column, you'd arrive at 35%. (20+5+80) / 3 = 35.

However, with 70 opens out of 350 emails delivered, the actual average open rate is 20%.

Delivered Opened Open rate
100 20 20%
200 10 5%
50 40 80%
SUM: 350 SUM: 70 AVG: 20%

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

SKubrick
Participant

Email Health Tool

SOLVE

Ah, good to know, thanks Karsten! I figured it was the list size more so than just the open rate as it appeared. Thanks for the insight!!

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Email Health Tool

SOLVE

Sure, happy to help, @SKubrick! I've added a short example to my previous post.

Karsten Köhler

danaland
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Email Health Tool

SOLVE

Hi @SK!

Happy to hear that you're loving the tool! I'll share that with the team. 🙂

Could you share some details on how you're calculating click + open rate? There can sometimes be discrepancies in how people calculate it.

For the tool, we calculate the open rate from the number of people who opened, out of the number of emails delivered- not out of the number of emails sent. That is often where we find the discrepancy. 

So if your sent list was 10,000 people, but it was only delivered to 5,000 out of that 10,000, we'd be doing the math for opens/clicks out of 5k - not 10k.

If you are also calculating from opens or clicks out of delivered and not sent, a screenshot comparing the numbers you're getting vs what we are showing would be great! 

SKubrick
Participant

Email Health Tool

SOLVE

Hi Dana! Sure, I calculate the overall open rate by pulling the open rate numbers provided in the email tool. To be sure they were pulling from the delivered and not overall sent, I spot checked a few of them (in the attached screenshot). I then took all of those percentages and added them for a total of 247.5%. I divided that number by 10 (for 10 completed sends between 12/12 and 1/13) and got an average open rate of 24.75%. 

Not sure if other factors might go into the calculation such as list size for each send (they are usually different since I segment them out), or maybe I did the calculation wrong! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated 😊

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 8.27.43 AM.png

0 Upvotes