Email Marketing Tool

cedaly
Contributor

Custom Tracking URL per Contact

SOLVE

I am looking into managing referrals by sending an email to client asking them to forward it to anyone who might be interested in attending a workshop.  I can create the UTM tracking code but I want to append the ContactID to the end and capture that coming back so we know who forwarded the email and generated the traffic.  We are thinking about offering them a free workshop or something for referring business.  Ideally we would put the link in a button on the email or text rather than a full string link.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
jackcoldrick
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @cedaly,

This is possible. I would recommend doing something like this...

1) Create an email: This is the email you will use tosend the referral link to all of your contacts. Within the email make sure to include a link to the page and append the personalization token for the "Contact ID" to the end of the link. It would look something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 1.31.49 PM.png

which would output something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 1.32.29 PM.png

2) Create a custom property: Call this property"referrer contact id". It's important that the name of this property matches the parameter used in the referral link from step 1. Technically it can be anything you want.

3) Prepopulate form field from query string: If you are using Hubspot forms we will automatically populate form fields with values from the query string as per this article. If someone sends a link to a friend they click on the link and the HubSpot form will autopopulate the value in the query string within the appropriate field. This field would be hidden so it's not visible to the visitor.

EXAMPLE: You can see an example of it working here on a test page - I sent myself an email which contained my referral link (http://dev.jackcoldrick.com/advanced-form-options/?referrer_contact_id=260701). Clicked on it and notice the property in the form "Referrer contact ID" has a value of "260701". That is my contact ID in HubSpot. When a new contact submits the form the property "Referrer contact id" will have the ID of the contact that referred them. You can segment this way and build out reports.

I hope this helps,

Jack

Jack Coldrick
Solutions Engineer @ HubSpot
Add me on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
jackcoldrick
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @cedaly,

This is possible. I would recommend doing something like this...

1) Create an email: This is the email you will use tosend the referral link to all of your contacts. Within the email make sure to include a link to the page and append the personalization token for the "Contact ID" to the end of the link. It would look something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 1.31.49 PM.png

which would output something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 1.32.29 PM.png

2) Create a custom property: Call this property"referrer contact id". It's important that the name of this property matches the parameter used in the referral link from step 1. Technically it can be anything you want.

3) Prepopulate form field from query string: If you are using Hubspot forms we will automatically populate form fields with values from the query string as per this article. If someone sends a link to a friend they click on the link and the HubSpot form will autopopulate the value in the query string within the appropriate field. This field would be hidden so it's not visible to the visitor.

EXAMPLE: You can see an example of it working here on a test page - I sent myself an email which contained my referral link (http://dev.jackcoldrick.com/advanced-form-options/?referrer_contact_id=260701). Clicked on it and notice the property in the form "Referrer contact ID" has a value of "260701". That is my contact ID in HubSpot. When a new contact submits the form the property "Referrer contact id" will have the ID of the contact that referred them. You can segment this way and build out reports.

I hope this helps,

Jack

Jack Coldrick
Add me on LinkedIn
cedaly
Contributor

SOLVE

Brilliant - I knew there was a way to do this.  Can this be accomplished in a Custom CTA that can be added to the email or do we just need to format the button on the email template?  I can edit the source code with the CTA but there is no way to insert the Contact ID unless I add it manually {{ContactID}}

0 Upvotes
jackcoldrick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @cedaly,

No problem at all. When you refer to a custom CTA can you share some more information on what that is? My understanding of custom CTAs are basically anchor tags that are styled accordingly.  Or if you could even share the HubID of your portal and the name of the email I could take a look for you.

Regards,

Jack

Jack Coldrick
Add me on LinkedIn
0 Upvotes
cedaly
Contributor

SOLVE

It's the CTA's you can build in Marketing Professional and Enterprise under Marketing > Lead Capture > CTAs

0 Upvotes
jackcoldrick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @cedaly 

Our CTA tool does not support embedding personalization tokens into the underlying link. So in order for this to work you would need to use custom HTML as per the example I shared. Another way would be to create a custom module that you could easily add into your emails. More information on custom modules can be found here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/cos-general/create-and-edit-modules

Regards

Jack

Jack Coldrick
Add me on LinkedIn
0 Upvotes