Email Marketing Tool

LoraBergeron
Contributor

Copy property from one contact to another

SOLVE

Hello,

I'm working on a Refer a Friend program.  I need to have the contents of one contact's RAF (Refer a Friend) property be copied to a property in  another contact record. The idea is this:

1. The customer would enter their email address in a form on a Landing Page and Submit.
  2. On another landing page, their RAF code would display.
  3. That page would have an email  property where customer could enter their friend's email address. Upon submit, that form would trigger an email to the friend that has the customer's RAF code in it.

Could someone please help me figure this out? I can't figure out how to copy the contents of one contacts property to the contents of another contact's property.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Lora 

2 Accepted solutions
jolle
Solution
Recognized Expert | Partner

SOLVE

Hey @LoraBergeron, thanks for sharing! This is an interesting use case.

In order to copy a contact property value to another record through a workflow, the enrolled contact must be associated to the recipient record. However, as far as I know, you're not able to associate objects of the same type with each other (so you couldn't create a custom association for a contact to another contact). 

Another potential problem area is having the customer fill out the email address on behalf of the friend. If you'd be using the defaul HubSpot "Email" property, then the customer would need to fill out the form in incognito mode. Otherwise, HubSpot will recognize them and just update the customer's record instead of creating a new one for the friend.

Will the unique RAF code be stored in a HubSpot property for the customer? If so, here's what you could do:

1. The customer fills out the first part of the form

2. The customer gets their RAF code

3. The customer fills out the second part of the form. You'll create a "RAF Email" property that will store the friend's email address on the customer's record. The RAF code should also be a part of this form, ideally automatically populated (it just needs to get into the customer's contact record)

4. You create a workflow that is triggered when the customer fills out the second part of the form. The workflow will create a contact (the friend) using the email address stored in the "RAF Email" property and the RAF code. You'll also create another custom property (like "RAF Contact" as a single checkbox) and have that set to "Yes"

5. The "RAF Contact" = "Yes" will trigger another worfklow that sends the RAF email to the friend

Alternatively, you could just generate an RAF code for all customers and store that in HubSpot. Then you could add it as a hidden field on the RAF form and cut out the two-part form (so the form would just have the customer's email, the friend's email (in a custom property), any other needed fields, and the hidden RAF code field). This may not be a viable option depending on your tech stack and the rest of your process, but I wanted to throw it out there in case it's helpful!

Best of luck to you in building this out! Let me know if you run into any trouble. Thanks!

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature

View solution in original post

jolle
Solution

SOLVE

Happy to help, and so glad to hear! Under the "Property management" workflow actions section, there's one called "Set marketing contact status:"

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 9.04.44 AM.png

If you add that as the first step after the enrollment trigger, all contacts enrolled will be set to marketing contacts and become eligible to receive marketing emails.

Hope this helps!

Jacob Olle

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Jnix284
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LoraBergeron this sounds like a good use case for Custom Objects, are you using HubSpot Enterprise?

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

LoraBergeron
Contributor

SOLVE

Hello,
I am and I do have Custom Objects. I'd need to think through how to do this. I almost have the other solution working. Thanks for your suggestion. I'll revisit it if they other way doesn't work out.

Jnix284

SOLVE

No problem, I'm happy you were able to get this working! That's all that matters 🙂

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

jolle
Solution

SOLVE

Hey @LoraBergeron, thanks for sharing! This is an interesting use case.

In order to copy a contact property value to another record through a workflow, the enrolled contact must be associated to the recipient record. However, as far as I know, you're not able to associate objects of the same type with each other (so you couldn't create a custom association for a contact to another contact). 

Another potential problem area is having the customer fill out the email address on behalf of the friend. If you'd be using the defaul HubSpot "Email" property, then the customer would need to fill out the form in incognito mode. Otherwise, HubSpot will recognize them and just update the customer's record instead of creating a new one for the friend.

Will the unique RAF code be stored in a HubSpot property for the customer? If so, here's what you could do:

1. The customer fills out the first part of the form

2. The customer gets their RAF code

3. The customer fills out the second part of the form. You'll create a "RAF Email" property that will store the friend's email address on the customer's record. The RAF code should also be a part of this form, ideally automatically populated (it just needs to get into the customer's contact record)

4. You create a workflow that is triggered when the customer fills out the second part of the form. The workflow will create a contact (the friend) using the email address stored in the "RAF Email" property and the RAF code. You'll also create another custom property (like "RAF Contact" as a single checkbox) and have that set to "Yes"

5. The "RAF Contact" = "Yes" will trigger another worfklow that sends the RAF email to the friend

Alternatively, you could just generate an RAF code for all customers and store that in HubSpot. Then you could add it as a hidden field on the RAF form and cut out the two-part form (so the form would just have the customer's email, the friend's email (in a custom property), any other needed fields, and the hidden RAF code field). This may not be a viable option depending on your tech stack and the rest of your process, but I wanted to throw it out there in case it's helpful!

Best of luck to you in building this out! Let me know if you run into any trouble. Thanks!

Jacob Olle

LoraBergeron
Contributor

SOLVE

Thank you!!!  I've been working on your steps since you posted them.  I think I have everything working properly, however I can't figure out how to make the contact that is created in the workflow a "Marketing" contact so that they will be able to be emailed. That's what I'm researching this morning. 

jolle
Solution

SOLVE

Happy to help, and so glad to hear! Under the "Property management" workflow actions section, there's one called "Set marketing contact status:"

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 9.04.44 AM.png

If you add that as the first step after the enrollment trigger, all contacts enrolled will be set to marketing contacts and become eligible to receive marketing emails.

Hope this helps!

Jacob Olle

LoraBergeron
Contributor

SOLVE

Thank you!  Everything is up and running!  Thank you so much for your help!

jolle

SOLVE

I'm so happy to hear that! Happy HubSpotting 🙂

Jacob Olle