Email Marketing Tool

auto_mate
Contributeur

Block free email providers list in a list/workflow?

Résolue

I have thousands of legacy contacts with "free email addresses" that I want to easily list.

How can I easily add Hubspot's own list of blocked free email domains to a list or workflow?

If the answer is copy/paste, that's OK - perhaps this list could be made available as an XLS/CSV 😉

1 Solution acceptée
karstenkoehler
Solution
Au panthéon de la communauté | Partenaire solutions

Résolue

Hi @auto_mate and everyone,

I know this is an older thread but I want to share how this can be approached.

Blocking freemail contacts from submitting a website form

This can be achieve easily by editing a form, clicking into the Email field and then checking the Block free email providers option in the left sidebar.

karstenkoehler_0-1642666533444.png

Creating a list of freemail contacts in the CRM

HubSpot has collected all freemail domains from the option above on this page: Domains blocked from form submissions

Copy and paste all of these domains into an Excel sheet and fill a second column with semicolons:

karstenkoehler_1-1642666719360.png

Next, create an active list (Menu > Contacts > Lists > Create list > Contact-based > Active List) and set up a filter for Contact propertiesEmail domain. Copy columns A and B from the Excel sheet and paste them into this field. HubSpot will interpret the semicolon as a separator.

karstenkoehler_2-1642666901487.png

Caution: This is a lot of information, browsers are known to crash or lag. If your browser does crash, copy and paste in batches.

You can of course use any other freemail list available online. The HubSpot one is simply very easily accessible.

Sending a different follow-up to freemail contacts

cc @twandeleijer @josephLayden @MBrunelWalker 

It is not possible to send a different follow-up in free or Starter portals. These subscriptions only offer one follow-up email. A Professional subscription with workflows is needed for this.

If you do have access to workflows, you can use and reference the list from the previous step. A simple workflow could look like this:

karstenkoehler_3-1642667189837.png

A few notes:

• Lists always take a moment to populate. There is a chance that a contact might arrive at the if/then branch before being "noticed" by the list. A short one-minute delay can solve for this.
  • If you have a double opt-in set up and your email workflows are "waiting" for contacts to confirm their email address, the delay is usually not needed. While the contact is confirming their email address (double opt-in), the list can find and include the contact.
  • If you want to avoid the issue altogether, you would have to copy and paste the values (including semicolons) right into a workflow filter, see below. In that case, you would have to copy/paste the domains every time (or clone the workflow).

karstenkoehler_4-1642667446279.png

Bonus

In Professional portals, you can use the freemail domain list created above for some informative custom reports.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

15 Réponses
karstenkoehler
Solution

Résolue

Hi @auto_mate and everyone,

I know this is an older thread but I want to share how this can be approached.

Blocking freemail contacts from submitting a website form

This can be achieve easily by editing a form, clicking into the Email field and then checking the Block free email providers option in the left sidebar.

karstenkoehler_0-1642666533444.png

Creating a list of freemail contacts in the CRM

HubSpot has collected all freemail domains from the option above on this page: Domains blocked from form submissions

Copy and paste all of these domains into an Excel sheet and fill a second column with semicolons:

karstenkoehler_1-1642666719360.png

Next, create an active list (Menu > Contacts > Lists > Create list > Contact-based > Active List) and set up a filter for Contact propertiesEmail domain. Copy columns A and B from the Excel sheet and paste them into this field. HubSpot will interpret the semicolon as a separator.

karstenkoehler_2-1642666901487.png

Caution: This is a lot of information, browsers are known to crash or lag. If your browser does crash, copy and paste in batches.

You can of course use any other freemail list available online. The HubSpot one is simply very easily accessible.

Sending a different follow-up to freemail contacts

cc @twandeleijer @josephLayden @MBrunelWalker 

It is not possible to send a different follow-up in free or Starter portals. These subscriptions only offer one follow-up email. A Professional subscription with workflows is needed for this.

If you do have access to workflows, you can use and reference the list from the previous step. A simple workflow could look like this:

karstenkoehler_3-1642667189837.png

A few notes:

• Lists always take a moment to populate. There is a chance that a contact might arrive at the if/then branch before being "noticed" by the list. A short one-minute delay can solve for this.
  • If you have a double opt-in set up and your email workflows are "waiting" for contacts to confirm their email address, the delay is usually not needed. While the contact is confirming their email address (double opt-in), the list can find and include the contact.
  • If you want to avoid the issue altogether, you would have to copy and paste the values (including semicolons) right into a workflow filter, see below. In that case, you would have to copy/paste the domains every time (or clone the workflow).

karstenkoehler_4-1642667446279.png

Bonus

In Professional portals, you can use the freemail domain list created above for some informative custom reports.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Audian
Participant

Résolue

@karstenkoehler - thank you for sharing this tip. I actually asked HS support a couple of times if there was an easier way to import or paste large sets of data like this. I will be able to use this in several places! In addition to creating a list, I went ahead and used the same filter/rule in my workflows (just to avoid any possible issues where a workflow might execute before a new contact is added to the list).

I almost made a costly mistake when implementing your suggestion 😲. I added the list of domains to "contains any of" out of habit for stuff like this, it is typically the most flexible option for many of my rules and filters. In this case I ended up with over 10,200 contacts identified as "Free Email Service User" when it is actually 2,668 contacts. This is because of things like  gofundme.com contains me.com.

So make sure to use "is equal to any of" when doing this (see below)!

So be careful out there folks, measure twice and cut once! I found this because I ran a quick smoke test by exporting the new (bad) list I made and comparing it to the HubSpot Free Email Providers list by running a quick vlookup. 

Thanks again Karsten!

Screenshot 2022-02-09 154146.png

MBrunelWalker
Participant

Résolue

OH MY GOD!!!!!   You are a STAR!!!!!

twandeleijer
Participant

Résolue

I am looking for a similar feature.

I don't want to block people with a free email domain from using our forms.

But I do want to handle them differently in terms of how we follow up with them and how much priority we give them.

Therefore, it would be great if there would be a filter for the Email or Email Domain field in lists and workflows to easily filter out contacts with email addresses that are on the free email domain list.

MBrunelWalker
Participant

Résolue

Did anyone ever come up with a way of doing this simply or is it just another limitation of HubSpot!

0 Votes
josephLayden
Contributeur

Résolue

Im also looking for this feature.  Did you solve your problem?

0 Votes
mitchelforney
Membre

Résolue

Wow, I could really use this right now. Switched to non-Hubspot forms and there's very little recourse.

0 Votes
auto_mate
Contributeur

Résolue

... OK, I copy/pasted into XLS... but how can I paste 4500+ fields into the "Contact property ends with" box in the list builder... or is there a better way?

0 Votes
Phil_Vallender
Membre irremplaçable | Partenaire solutions Diamond
Membre irremplaçable | Partenaire solutions Diamond

Résolue

Hi @auto_mate

Do you have 4500 contacts with free email domains, or 4500 unique email domains?

If you have 4500 contacts, I would import those into a static list. If you have fewer (although still lots probably) of domains, these should be easier to add to the email contains or ends with filter of a smart list.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
0 Votes
auto_mate
Contributeur

Résolue

Hubspot has a list of 4734 free email domains that are used in HS's own free email providers block list.

I have quite a few thousand contacts with email addresses with free domains (i.e. non-company domains) that I am looking to clean.

If that explains better;)

(In the end I copied them all into an XLS and made a workflow with 500 at a time to create a "free domain" filter workflow.)

0 Votes
mitchelforney
Membre

Résolue

If you're at all willing to describe this in more detail, I'd appreciate it. When I try to copy/paste some rows, they're all "one" entry in Hubspot.

0 Votes
auto_mate
Contributeur

Résolue

In more detail: it was painful. I can't remember how (I might have added commas in XLS and merged columns etc) but I was able to copy/paste 500 at a time, so I made a workflow with 9(?) modules so now I have a workflow that will action the "free email domain" list.

However, Hubspot constantly changes that list so mine is accurate as of last year 😞

simeonp
Participant

Résolue

Any chance that you've remembered how you made that multiple pasting possible? 

0 Votes
mitchelforney
Membre

Résolue

I believe it just has to be semicolons. Here's the Excel file I used to copy/paste from, though Hubspot had to think about it for a bit when I pasted.  https://ln.sync.com/dl/c4f3e94a0/aqe6cpvn-esj3dn9c-gh8pg45v-n54c5fpq

mitchelforney
Membre

Résolue

Ohhh that adding commas thing makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you so much for the reply.

I'm going to give it a try today and see what happens.

0 Votes