Email Marketing Tool

squigglebit
Contributor

Black Friday - Open Rates EXCESSIVELY Low

Hi everyone, trying to wrap my head around on what may have caused extremely low open rates on our BF sales emails.
We segment our data out and send emails separately to provide accourate tracking and analytics, and to be able to adjust and pivot where needed.
Looking at one send segment in particular our open rates tanked dramatically on BF.
Pre-launch email 37% open rate
Launch email 4.69% open rate
Day 2 email 36.7% open rate

Whilst I know subject lines, times etc all come into play this seems an absolutely insane variant in opens and am wondering if anyone could shed any light.

Comparing the same send set to last year (same title, same send time) it is still much lower as this was 16%

Hopefully the hive mind has some insight 🙂

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Hi @squigglebit,

This is hard to analyze without having more context. For a full picture, it would be important to see last year's emails, this year's emails, information about the recipient lists last year and this year as well as general context about your target group / persona and offering. If you feel comfortable sharing, that would allow for a discussion. If not, it's hard to diagnose from a distance.

Reasons could be manyfold, ranging from familiarization or saturation effects, more aggressive competitor offers, different patterns this year vs last year regarding how people took time off and managed their inboxes or an overall higher email volume from all brands, leading service providers to label more emails as promotional or spam.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
squigglebit
Contributor

Thanks for the input.
The send segment was people who have never been a client (same this year and last year) we moved to Hubspot in February 2022 so our list has grown with time and we do have a sunset policy in place and started to utilise marketing contact status much more this year with unengaged people, previously we did not use this other than people who manually opted themselves out.
Our industry is health and wellness. The subject lines, send times are the same and the email content still follows the same formular with a header image and CTA buttons.

Another huge thing I notice is last years number around 25% of total was unique reliable opens, this year it's around 1% or less for this one email. It feels very strange almost like the reporting is off, but that's based on nothing more than a gut feeling.

Another question I have was when did HubSpot bring in Bot Filtering? 

0 Upvotes