Email Marketing Tool

ALeonard1
Participant

Best Practices for Gifs in Marketing Email

SOLVE

Hey everyone, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on using gifs in marketing emails. I personally believe they are effective at increasing engagement if used sparingly, but I haven't done much A/B testing. Have you? How do they affect open and clickthrough rates?

I am concerned about how large gif files usually are. I've found these resources on the matter:

On that note, does anyone recommend a free tool to reduce gif sizes? There are plenty online, but they tend to look sketchy. I love https://squoosh.app/ for reducing image file sizes, but they don't work with gifs. 

Thanks!

1 Accepted solution
Jonno_Price
Solution
Guide | Platinum Partner
Guide | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi there,

Not sure of any specific metrics in terms of A/B testing but think that in the right context gifs can make a marketing email stand out and be more enjoyable to consume. I wouldn't use gifs in one-to-one sales email as think that is best to be plain text. But for marketing email, newsletters etc, and the right audience, then sure why not. Also Canva has introduced a gif maker so you can create nice on-brand gifs easily. 

There are of course limitations including the size issue you mention. The smaller the better of course. Also people with older versions of Outlook won't get to see the gif by default. 

As for resizer,  I normally just use one of the web ones - like Ezgif or similar. For Mac users there is this little app you can download: https://imageoptim.com/mac

Happy giffing

Jonno Price
Growth London Ltd.
Platinum Hubspot Solutions Partner

Did my post help answer your query? Please help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Jonno_Price
Solution
Guide | Platinum Partner
Guide | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi there,

Not sure of any specific metrics in terms of A/B testing but think that in the right context gifs can make a marketing email stand out and be more enjoyable to consume. I wouldn't use gifs in one-to-one sales email as think that is best to be plain text. But for marketing email, newsletters etc, and the right audience, then sure why not. Also Canva has introduced a gif maker so you can create nice on-brand gifs easily. 

There are of course limitations including the size issue you mention. The smaller the better of course. Also people with older versions of Outlook won't get to see the gif by default. 

As for resizer,  I normally just use one of the web ones - like Ezgif or similar. For Mac users there is this little app you can download: https://imageoptim.com/mac

Happy giffing

Jonno Price
Growth London Ltd.
Platinum Hubspot Solutions Partner

Did my post help answer your query? Please help the community by marking it as a solution.

MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @ALeonard1,

this is an interesting topic, than you for posting! 

I wanted to tag in a couple of subject matter experts to see if they have any thoughts on this: 

hi @DavidDennison@Ian_Matt@Jonno_Price, any experience with GIFs in marketing emails? Thanks!

Cheers
Mia, Community Team  

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings