Email Marketing Tool

DanKemp
Participant

Being invoiced for a full contract period for accidentally going over marketing contact allowance

SOLVE

Hi everyone,

I'm at the end of my tether with Hubspot over this, and just wanted to see if anyone had any advice or had experienced anything similar.

At the end of July, we were trying to manage our Marketing Contact allocation by removing some users then adding some more. Something went wrong and we accidentally went over our limit by 70. 

I immediately removed all of our marketing contacts to reset it to zero. We didn't send any emails to those new contacts. I contacted Hubspot support straight away and explained the mistake, and I was told it could probably be fixed, or at the very least I would just be charged for that one month where we had gone over. 

By this point we had already received the auto-generated invoice saying that we had been moved onto a new tier for Marketing Contacts, and we had been invoiced not just for that month but for every month until the end of our contract (next February)!

My account manager did finally get back to me and we had a face to face meeting, I explained what the situation was and I fully expected it would get resolved there and then and the invoice would be rescinded.

A few days later I got an email saying that it could not be rescinded. Suddenly all I was getting was the blanket corporate response of "it's in our terms" and there's nothing anyone could do about it.

I tried escalating via the Billings team but got the template response. I tried to push for it to be escalated via my account manager but he kept stalling and giving me the template response. Finally he gave my the email contact for his line manager. I emailed her and she's ignored me.

My estimation of Hubspot has nosedived because of this. One tiny error and not only am I being charged extortionately, but I am no longer being treated as a valued, human customer. 

What would you do in this situation? Anyone experienced anything similar? The invoice will come up to 30 days overdue on 26th September and I am worried our access to Hubspot will be cut off if we don't pay, so I want to get it resolved by then. 

I would have thought that any change in service should be refundable within 14 days - covered by UK law? Any ideas?

1 Accepted solution
rodericks
Solution
Contributor

Being invoiced for a full contract period for accidentally going over marketing contact allowance

SOLVE

Hey @DanKemp,

We have a similar case. However, we did it on purpose, but expected to be billed only the month we were using it. The next month we also removed all contacts to non-marketing. However, billing, account manager (she doesn't even respond, only when I ask her about expansion), customer succes, etc.. all respond the same.

So unfortunately, I can't help you. What I do think however is that we combine other customers to force Hubspot to change this ridicilous term. Because I get I have to pay if I use more, but not for my whole contract. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
PGavalas
Participant

SOLVE

I have had the same thing happen to me hence my search for such threads. I used to hold Hubspot in high regard and spread the word to other Business Leaders to use them, however, their practices on this type of matter are immoral and I will now do the opposite.

We accidentally added a number of contacts from a "workflow which went wrong", fixed the issue within hours and contacted their team for an issue, that should be a non issue i.e. Their system should not even allow you to go over the amount of contacts which you have in your package and should simply stop the ability to send any emails until you add more contacts or an authorised billing contact upgrades your package. 

I thought by being proactive, fixing the issue that same day and contacting support to explain the situation, they would apologise for their ridiculous practice and reverse the invoice. Instead, they sent us an invoice for a new contract tier for the remainder of the contract period which is nearly 2 years worth i.e. thousands of dollars! 

How they think they will get customer advocacy from such immoral practices is beyond me.  

MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @DanKemp and @rodericks,

thank you for providing additional information. We apologize for the frustration and business impact this has caused. I've reached out to your account representatives to make sure that this is on their radar. While we cannot promise anything regarding changes to the the charges, you deserve a response from us and an open channel of communication with your account representatives at HubSpot. 

I did want to take this opportunity to share some resources around this topic that other Community members may find beneficial down the road: 

If you have any further issue regarding getting in touch with your account representatives at HubSpot, please feel free to DM me on the Community and I will continue to advocate for you internally. 
Thank you for your understanding. 

Mia, Community team 

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings

0 Upvotes
rodericks
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Hey @DanKemp,

We have a similar case. However, we did it on purpose, but expected to be billed only the month we were using it. The next month we also removed all contacts to non-marketing. However, billing, account manager (she doesn't even respond, only when I ask her about expansion), customer succes, etc.. all respond the same.

So unfortunately, I can't help you. What I do think however is that we combine other customers to force Hubspot to change this ridicilous term. Because I get I have to pay if I use more, but not for my whole contract. 

DanKemp
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for speaking up. You're exactly right.

DanKemp
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Mia - I'm not sure they are the best points of contact if they've stopped responding to me? Who else can I take this up with? How does one make a formal complaint to Hubspot?

0 Upvotes
MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @DanKemp,

Mia from the Community team here - I just wanted to say that we understand your frustration. Your Customer Success Manager and the billing team are the best points of contact in this matter, but please let us know if we can provide any documentation or articles about Marketing contacts. Thank you. 

Mia, Community team

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings