Email Marketing Tool

LCK
Participant

Attach File to Email changing the file name when uploaded

SOLVE

Recently I started sending my contacts 1:1 emails with a pdf document attached that I want to share with them. I write the email, then go to attach a document, using Attach File -> Upload New

Sometimes it works fine. But often, more and more, the file uploads and the name is changed to include the date and time.

For example: if the file is called: AwesomeDocument.pdf, the file will attach as AwesomeDocument-Mar-30-2021-10-34-41-84-PM.pdf

I sent a test email to see if the document was really going to send with that name and it does. Clearly, I do not want to send documents like that!

Does anyone know what is going on and how to stop it?

Thanks

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
danmoyle
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hey @LCK. Is it the same document for each contact? And are you uploading it new each time? That would likely change the name each time. I'd suggest, if it's the same document, you upload it to your file manager then go to "Choose Existing" and choose the file. I just tested that a few times and it didn't change the name at all. 

Hope that helps. Good idea checking with Support, too. 

Cheers,

Dan // Impulse Creative

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
EMoer

SOLVE

The first question is that is it just happening with jotform or every email is doing the same? if yes then you can see  here the solution about this issue.

0 Upvotes
LCK
Participant

SOLVE

Hi. I don't know what "jotform" refers to. But I read the prior questions you posted below and they address different issues.

As an update, I have been talking with the HS Tech Support folks and they are still working on the issue. I will post once I have a resolution and/or more info.

danmoyle

SOLVE

Gotcha. When they say public, yes it creates a link so it's technically public. But that URL doesn't live anywhere that someone can get to it. So if there isn't personal identifying info or sensitive data, there wouldn't be a danger to that. But it sounds like maybe you're sharing something at least somewhat private, so sending an attachment through HubSpot may not be the best solution. 

Curious— can you share what the idea is you're trying to accomplish? Is this sensitive data you're sending or a different attachment each time? Could it be sent a different way? We (Community) may have another idea for you. 😊

Dan

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
LCK
Participant

SOLVE
Hi Dan,

There isn't any sensitive data so far, just proprietary info in some cases.
I've been doing this with several files.

The big picture is that I have a system for reaching out to people 1:1 in
my CRM on a daily basis and sometimes I share docs with them: in some cases
a publicly available scholarly article, in some cases a brochure or other
marketing document that I have created.

If there is a different approach I'm interested!

Thanks,
lisa

--

Lisa C. Kaczmarczyk
Lisa Kaczmarczyk PhD Consulting, LLC
https://www.lisakaczmarczyk.com
0 Upvotes
danmoyle
Solution

SOLVE

Hey @LCK. Is it the same document for each contact? And are you uploading it new each time? That would likely change the name each time. I'd suggest, if it's the same document, you upload it to your file manager then go to "Choose Existing" and choose the file. I just tested that a few times and it didn't change the name at all. 

Hope that helps. Good idea checking with Support, too. 

Cheers,

Dan // Impulse Creative

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
LCK
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Dan (and others),

After some very interesting conversations back and forth with Support, I received this reply, (which, ultimately, suggests using the File Manager):

Note that in the email below, "file manager" is not the same as File Manager. Capitalized, it is the File Manager that I have access to as a user. Not capitalized, it is a behind the scenes file manager that I do not have access to. I clarified this with Support in a follow up email not included here.

"After some pretty extensive troubleshooting, we've identified this is intentionally designed to occur when too many files of the same name are uploaded into the same folder to the file manager. What normally happens is we start appending numbers to the end of the file name at first : -1, -2, -3 etc. After it gets to 5, the system switches to appending dates, because it becomes easier to see when it was uploaded, and discern it from other files. This was an intentional change made in the system a little while back in effort to help with identifying duplicate files.

So ultimately, because this is part of the file naming convention, in order to get around this you'll either want to select the original file from the File Manager with the desired name, or alternatively rename the file to something new before uploading it."

LCK
Participant

SOLVE
Hi Dan,

Tech Support suggested that as a temporary workaround, although it involves
an extra step. I read up on the File Manager and it seems to be designed
for public documents. I def. do not want my documents to be publicly
searchable and findable. I did see there appeared to be a way to restrict
access to Private, but from what I understand the File Manager isn't
intended for storing your personal documents.

I sent Tech Support a HAR file which they are now looking at.

Thanks,
Lisa

--

Lisa C. Kaczmarczyk
0 Upvotes
TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @LCK 

Thank you for reaching out. 

I couldn't find something similar on Community, I would recommend connecting with HubSpot Technical Support, as Support is included in your subscription and they will be able to provide real-time assistance for this matter, where you are able to share screenshots and examples about this. 

Thank you!

Best

Tiphaine

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

LCK
Participant

SOLVE
Thanks. They are working to figure it out. I'll post when I hear back from
them.

Lisa

--

Lisa C. Kaczmarczyk
0 Upvotes