Email Marketing Tool

daniel_refinery

Asset download and header customization in email

SOLVE

I'm new to developing in Hubspot. I am working on building an email template that comes from a form that a visitor fills out. The visitor fills out their information to receive an asset (in this case an ebook, but the customer wants it to be customizable so that they can choose something else in the future), and an email is sent to them. The header of the email is the name of the asset, and the "Download Now" button downloads the ebook (or PDF or whatever file they choose in the future). I have the email styled and formatted, and a button built in that downloads a specific file (the ebook) but isn't customizable so that, when the email sends, the client's chosen file is attached to the "Download Now" button. I have looked all over the place for something that might help me with this. Do I need to create variables like `asset.name` or `asset.file` and have those populate the email? Where would I put these variables? Don't know how to do this. Any guidance would be helpful. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Once a visitor submits a HubSpot form the properties (fields) are stored in the HubSpot CRM. Using HubL in the email template, you can customize your email to include information from the HubSpot CRM ('personalization tokens').
- see Personalize your HubSpot content

If the HubSpot form is specific to one piece of content (e.g., eBook01), you can simply hard code the email. However, if the form is used to accept requests for multiple content pieces (e.g., eBook01, eBook02, eBook03, etc.), you'll want HubSpot to store which content piece in the CRM. (using personalization tokens from above)
- see Pass contact property values with hidden form fields

Once done, you'd use a workflow to trigger your email based on which content piece was selected.
- see Choose your workflow actions

That's in in a nutshell. Unfortunately, if you're not familiar with HubSpot marketing workflows the email customization ask is too big.

It's more than just a custom email. It's a custom email built to work with marketing automation that feeds off an underlying CRM!
- see Create automated emails to use in workflows

That is all.

Help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this solution now.

Best,
Frank

Author, the Perfect HubSpot Series

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v05.png

MFrankJohnson.com | Connect on LinkedIn

Help find posts quickly ... accept this solution now.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Once a visitor submits a HubSpot form the properties (fields) are stored in the HubSpot CRM. Using HubL in the email template, you can customize your email to include information from the HubSpot CRM ('personalization tokens').
- see Personalize your HubSpot content

If the HubSpot form is specific to one piece of content (e.g., eBook01), you can simply hard code the email. However, if the form is used to accept requests for multiple content pieces (e.g., eBook01, eBook02, eBook03, etc.), you'll want HubSpot to store which content piece in the CRM. (using personalization tokens from above)
- see Pass contact property values with hidden form fields

Once done, you'd use a workflow to trigger your email based on which content piece was selected.
- see Choose your workflow actions

That's in in a nutshell. Unfortunately, if you're not familiar with HubSpot marketing workflows the email customization ask is too big.

It's more than just a custom email. It's a custom email built to work with marketing automation that feeds off an underlying CRM!
- see Create automated emails to use in workflows

That is all.

Help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this solution now.

Best,
Frank

Author, the Perfect HubSpot Series

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v05.png

MFrankJohnson.com | Connect on LinkedIn

Help find posts quickly ... accept this solution now.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
daniel_refinery

SOLVE

Thanks for the response, very helpful. I am a web developer, I've just never worked in HubL before. Do you think that this is just not doable for a newbie? Thanks again.

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Excellent. It's 'doable' ... it'll just take MUCH longer.

Even a strong dev unfamiliar with HubSpot's corresponding marketing automation doesn't have sufficient information with which to guide their email customization decisions.

Recommendation: Select a premium email template from the HubSpot marketplace ($15-$200) and tweak it to suit your need.

Marketing -> Files and Templates -> Marketplace

All premium templates come with support from guys that've been doing this forever. And most of them are happy to talk to other devs -- a relief from talking to the DIY crowd. 🙂

- OR -

Just go for it and keep asking questions in the Developers Forum here in the community. Guess it depends on your timeframe.

Good luck on your project.

Best,
Frank

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes