Email Marketing Tool

ConnorSlivensky
Key Advisor | Elite Partner
Key Advisor | Elite Partner

Adding a Table of Contents to Email

SOLVE

Hi Everybody,

I'm creating a rather long newsletter with multiple sections. I'd like to create a linkable table of contents so users can just click down to each section. I know this is typically done with anchor tags and I found this article which strongly advises NOT using anchors in emails due to the inconsistencies between email clients. 

So my question is two parts:

1. Is there an alternative way to accomplish this?
  2. If not, is there a list somewhere of which clients support this functionality?
1 Accepted solution
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

There was an article done awhile back on this topic, but in short the biggest offenders of the anchor tag are the mobile clients.  The below article shows a list of the most popular clients that are affected by this:

https://emaildesign.beefree.io/2017/08/new-data-email-anchor-link-rendering-across-isps/

Unfortunately, there is not an easy way around this because if it doesn't work, your users are left without answers to their clicks.  If you are worried about the email being too long with too much information, ask yourself from a client perspective, is all of the information pertinent to me, or could segments be used to break about your email or use smart content to only deliver relevant content to that client?  Or is there more modern way to show the articles or entice someone to click through without long, drawn-out copy in the email to make it so there is less to scroll through?  It's a common hurdle what you face of historical newsletter emails that are long and try to appeal to everyone without speaking to anyone in particular, but there's definitely ways to get around long emails that require anchor tags.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
JWeidemann

SOLVE

This issue (the lack of automated table of content modules or |TOC|) is preventing me from using Hubspot more broadly. At the moment the best |TOC| solution I found at MailChimp. It should not be too difficult to program this for Hubspot too and to offer this feature as a shortcut. 

Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

There was an article done awhile back on this topic, but in short the biggest offenders of the anchor tag are the mobile clients.  The below article shows a list of the most popular clients that are affected by this:

https://emaildesign.beefree.io/2017/08/new-data-email-anchor-link-rendering-across-isps/

Unfortunately, there is not an easy way around this because if it doesn't work, your users are left without answers to their clicks.  If you are worried about the email being too long with too much information, ask yourself from a client perspective, is all of the information pertinent to me, or could segments be used to break about your email or use smart content to only deliver relevant content to that client?  Or is there more modern way to show the articles or entice someone to click through without long, drawn-out copy in the email to make it so there is less to scroll through?  It's a common hurdle what you face of historical newsletter emails that are long and try to appeal to everyone without speaking to anyone in particular, but there's definitely ways to get around long emails that require anchor tags.