Email Deliverability

FionaCK
Participante

Why import an opt-out list?

resolver

Can anyone tell me the benefit of importing an Opt-out list? It is my understanding that this process does not create a contact in HubSpot, so what happens to these records? Is there a HubSpot process where a contact is created if someon on an Opt-out list does actually subscribe or change their opt-in permissions?

thanks

Fiona

0 Me gusta
4 Soluciones aceptadas
MFrankJohnson
Solución
Líder intelectual

resolver

>>"Can anyone tell me the benefit of importing an Opt-out list? It is my understanding that this process does not create a contact in HubSpot, so what happens to these records?"

Adding contacts to an Opt-out list prohibits marketing email sends to that contact from ALL HubSpot users in the portal. (important) And, if those contact records do not exist, they will not count towards your billable contact total.

- see Import an opt-out list

>>"Is there a HubSpot process where a contact is created if someone on an Opt-out list does actually subscribe or change their opt-in permissions?"

- see Resubscribe contacts to your marketing emails

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

Phil_Vallender
Solución
Miembro estimable | Partner nivel Diamond

resolver

Hi @FionaCK 

If the contact exists in HubSpot and then is in an imported opt out list, the contact will remain in your portal, will be opted out of all email, and will still count towards your contact total.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

MFrankJohnson
Solución
Líder intelectual

resolver

Thanks for your question, @FionaCK ...

>>"If a contact already exists in HubSpot and they are also on the opt-out list, when I import the opt-out list what does it do to the existing HubSpot contact record?"

If there are EMAIL ADDRESSES in your opt-out import that currently exist as HubSpot contacts, those email addresses will be automatically unsubscribed, but continue to remain as contacts unless/until you delete them. Importing an Opt-out list in HubSpot will NOT delete contact records.

Remember, opt-out's are specific to EMAIL ADDRESSES. This means, if a contact has multiple email addresses it's quite possible for one (1) or some of those email addresses to be opted-out while one (1) or some remain opted-IN.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

0 Me gusta
MFrankJohnson
Solución
Líder intelectual

resolver

>>"...if they convert, can they resubscribe themseleves?? I'm still not sure."

Hmmmm. Another excellent question. Our testing seems to indicate so.

Basically, we opted out a test account (via an Opt-Out import list). Then we began the re-conversion process (via an incognito form completion). The resulting re-conversion message appears on the form (as it should when reconversion is permitted) -- 'Looks like you've opted out of email communication. Click here to get an email and opt back in.'.
- see image

HubSpot Re-conversion Message For Contact Previously Opted-Out Via Opt-Out Import ListHubSpot Re-conversion Message For Contact Previously Opted-Out Via Opt-Out Import List

Will check the actual account and report back here later today, but expect all will behave as expected.

[wait. 'expect as expected'? (head shaking) haha 🙂 ]

Update 1710 EST:

Confirmed @Phil_Vallender ... we (as the original unsubscribed contact) were able to complete the resubscribe process. Once completed, we (as portal admins) were able to see their newly updated subscription statuses and history (as expected).

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

11 Respuestas 11
Phil_Vallender

resolver

Hi @FionaCK 

The main benefit is it protects you in case of erroneous creation or import of opted out contacts in the future. 

Hope this helps.

MFrankJohnson
Solución
Líder intelectual

resolver

>>"Can anyone tell me the benefit of importing an Opt-out list? It is my understanding that this process does not create a contact in HubSpot, so what happens to these records?"

Adding contacts to an Opt-out list prohibits marketing email sends to that contact from ALL HubSpot users in the portal. (important) And, if those contact records do not exist, they will not count towards your billable contact total.

- see Import an opt-out list

>>"Is there a HubSpot process where a contact is created if someone on an Opt-out list does actually subscribe or change their opt-in permissions?"

- see Resubscribe contacts to your marketing emails

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
Phil_Vallender

resolver

Hey @MFrankJohnson

One thing I wasn't 100% on was: would that resubscribe system work for a contact who is imported on an opt out list. Do you know? 

MFrankJohnson
Líder intelectual

resolver

>>"...would that resubscribe system work for a contact who is imported on an opt out list?"

Excellent question, @Phil_Vallender ...

Yes. "You can remove an opt-out of email status that was added manually by a user in your HubSpot account. This action can only be applied to contacts who were opted out manually from the contact record or through an opt-out list."

- see Remove an opt-out of email status

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
Phil_Vallender

resolver

Thanks @MFrankJohnson - so you can manually remove the opt out status of a contact imported on an optout list, but if they convert, can they resubscribe themseleves?? I'm still not sure.

From the same article you shared: "contacts who have unsubscribed from marketing emails sent from your HubSpot account can take action to resubscribe to your emails"

A puzzle for sure!

0 Me gusta
MFrankJohnson
Solución
Líder intelectual

resolver

>>"...if they convert, can they resubscribe themseleves?? I'm still not sure."

Hmmmm. Another excellent question. Our testing seems to indicate so.

Basically, we opted out a test account (via an Opt-Out import list). Then we began the re-conversion process (via an incognito form completion). The resulting re-conversion message appears on the form (as it should when reconversion is permitted) -- 'Looks like you've opted out of email communication. Click here to get an email and opt back in.'.
- see image

HubSpot Re-conversion Message For Contact Previously Opted-Out Via Opt-Out Import ListHubSpot Re-conversion Message For Contact Previously Opted-Out Via Opt-Out Import List

Will check the actual account and report back here later today, but expect all will behave as expected.

[wait. 'expect as expected'? (head shaking) haha 🙂 ]

Update 1710 EST:

Confirmed @Phil_Vallender ... we (as the original unsubscribed contact) were able to complete the resubscribe process. Once completed, we (as portal admins) were able to see their newly updated subscription statuses and history (as expected).

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
Phil_Vallender

resolver

@MFrankJohnson - Awesome dude! I knew you'd be up for testing and getting to the bottom of this. Kudos. 

@jennysowyrda - documentation could perhaps impove around this subject based these findings?

JuliaMongeau
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

resolver

Hey @Phil_Vallender and @MFrankJohnson , Julia from the Docs team here! Thank you for all of your research and findings! I am going to review this information and partner with my team to work on improving the docs arounds this. 

FionaCK
Participante

resolver

Hi Frank, thanks for your response and the links to the other articles. If a contact already exists in HubSpot and they are also on the opt-out list, when I import the opt-out list what does it do to the existing HubSpot contact record?

Regards

Fiona

MFrankJohnson
Solución
Líder intelectual

resolver

Thanks for your question, @FionaCK ...

>>"If a contact already exists in HubSpot and they are also on the opt-out list, when I import the opt-out list what does it do to the existing HubSpot contact record?"

If there are EMAIL ADDRESSES in your opt-out import that currently exist as HubSpot contacts, those email addresses will be automatically unsubscribed, but continue to remain as contacts unless/until you delete them. Importing an Opt-out list in HubSpot will NOT delete contact records.

Remember, opt-out's are specific to EMAIL ADDRESSES. This means, if a contact has multiple email addresses it's quite possible for one (1) or some of those email addresses to be opted-out while one (1) or some remain opted-IN.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Me gusta
Phil_Vallender
Solución

resolver

Hi @FionaCK 

If the contact exists in HubSpot and then is in an imported opt out list, the contact will remain in your portal, will be opted out of all email, and will still count towards your contact total.