Email Deliverability

JMort
Contributor

What does the "Subscription Type" drop-down menu do when i'm setting up an Email?

SOLVE

Hi

So i'm relatively new to Hubspot and am currently sitting in hubspot building a few Emails to use in a new workflow. This is when I stumble upon the "Subscription Type" drop-down field in the "Settings" tab, and I think to myself "what does this field do?"

We have quite a few options in this field, but I have no idea what happens if I choose one over the other.

Can somebody help me?

I'm assuming it's pretty vital since it's a required field.

Thanks in advance

JMort

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Josh
Solution
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

What does the "Subscription Type" drop-down menu do when i'm setting up an Email?

SOLVE

Hi @JMort,

It depends on whether you have enabled the GDPR compliance or not. 

If your goal is to be fully GDPR compliant then a recipient would have to be opted in for that specific subsription type you are sending to. If they are not, they won't receive the email.

If you haven't been collecting the data as stated, you can enroll folks into subscription types: 

The status for each subscription type is stored in the Communication subscriptions section on the left side of the contact record. Subscription type statuses can be updated manually for an individual, in bulk with a workflow, or via API.

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
Josh

SOLVE

Hi @JMort,

Subscription types will determine which contacts get what communication, legally. This is based on what they are opted-in to receiving. 

Here's an article that explains it pretty well. 

Josh

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.

0 Upvotes
JMort
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Josh

Thanks for the reply.

I'd already seen that, but wonder if that means that when I choose a subscription type, that the system will only send to those that have yes in the chosen type and if they choose to unsubscribe does that mean that they are automatically unsubscribed in that type only.

You see we don't use the standard permission setup, so i'm afraid that we have been limiting ourselves severally all this time.

If the subscrition type automatically leaves out any contact without a yes in the given subscription type but we don't collect permission in that property we have a problem.

JMort

0 Upvotes
Josh
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @JMort,

It depends on whether you have enabled the GDPR compliance or not. 

If your goal is to be fully GDPR compliant then a recipient would have to be opted in for that specific subsription type you are sending to. If they are not, they won't receive the email.

If you haven't been collecting the data as stated, you can enroll folks into subscription types: 

The status for each subscription type is stored in the Communication subscriptions section on the left side of the contact record. Subscription type statuses can be updated manually for an individual, in bulk with a workflow, or via API.

Josh Curcio

0 Upvotes
JMort
Contributor

SOLVE

Thank you Josh

That puts my mind at ease 🙂

JMort

0 Upvotes