Email Deliverability

JTengstrom

Unsubscribed - No further interest

SOLVE

I created my first email campaign today. 1 person clicked on the 'unsubscribe' link.

I would like to know how this is handled? Do I need to manually remove the email address in question? If so, how will I remember that I removed it once before?

Thank you,

JT

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JTengstrom,

HubSpot takes care of this for you, see the first and second paragraphs in this knowledge base article: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email/resubscribe-contacts-to-your-marketing-emails

If a contact has unsubscribed from all email, they will automatically be excluded from marketing email sends. (One-to-one emails and transactional emails will still go through.)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JTengstrom,

Exactly. If you want to better understand the mechanism, you can always create a test contact, opt that contact out manually and send a test marketing email just to this one contact to see that it doesn't go through.

Replies to marketing emails are not logged in HubSpot, you would see them in whatever email inbox you've chosen as a from address.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
JTengstrom

SOLVE

Thanks for your help on this! Much appreciated! Now I got to get my click through rate up and then we are good to go. But that's another post!

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JTengstrom,

Exactly. If you want to better understand the mechanism, you can always create a test contact, opt that contact out manually and send a test marketing email just to this one contact to see that it doesn't go through.

Replies to marketing emails are not logged in HubSpot, you would see them in whatever email inbox you've chosen as a from address.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
JTengstrom

SOLVE

Ok! Got it! So the next time I use this same list this person will then be automatically ignored and the number off messages sent should decrease by -1?

By the way, when a customer responds via email does their response also get logged somehow into thier contact information? I looked but did not see anything.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JTengstrom,

You can double check by navigating to the contact record, clicking View all properties in the About this contact section of left sidebar and searching for "opt". You should see something like this:

opt.png

The contact in my screenshot has not opted out, hence the empty fields. Your contact would have values in one or multiple of these fields.

Cheers!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
JTengstrom

SOLVE

If I take what you say at face value sure it makes sense! But if I dig into my contacts regarding the person that unsubscribed I cannot find any additional details about this.

That worries me because you don't want to contact a person not desiring to hear from you.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JTengstrom,

HubSpot takes care of this for you, see the first and second paragraphs in this knowledge base article: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email/resubscribe-contacts-to-your-marketing-emails

If a contact has unsubscribed from all email, they will automatically be excluded from marketing email sends. (One-to-one emails and transactional emails will still go through.)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
catsushi
Participant

SOLVE

What is the difference between having someone unsubscribe and setting someone as a non-marketing contact? I see that when someone unsubscribes, they may still be set as a marketing contact (and I manually have to make them a non-marketing contact)?

Or (per this link: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/set-contacts-as-non-marketing ) do they get marked as 'unengaged'...? There seems to be a lot of information out there on this but nothing that seems concise and easy to understand. Advice appreciated!

0 Upvotes